Clone this wiki locally
It's hard to find tutorials specific to manga lettering, especially all in one place. This is my attempt to provide a reference point based on my years of experience.
You can find the guides that are currently available in the sidebar. Pick up wherever you feel comfortable.
These guides are made with:
- InDesign CC 2020
- Photoshop CC 2020
Most of the features I cover should exist in all versions of InDesign, though the scripts may not work in older versions.
- What fonts do you recommend for manga lettering?
- How do you center text vertically in InDesign?
- How do I find lettering work in the manga industry?
- What do I need to show in my portfolio? Is it okay if I show some of my scans work?
- How do I resize a page that's already lettered?
- Are there any resources that I can practice lettering with?
- How can I retouch this panel?
If you have questions specific to a project you're working on, you should always go to your point of contact with your publisher first. If you have questions regarding the material in this guide, feel free to bug me on Twitter: @salinsley
If you'd like to help support me continuing to make these tutorials, consider donating on my Ko-fi
Everything in this guide is provided as-is, and the reader accepts all liability for use of its contents. This is general reference material, not an explicit how-to guide. Always refer to your client and their guidelines as a source of definitive information.