Change Log (since v3.9.0)
This release will need to reindex your database before you will be able to use the app. It might take 3-5 mins or more depending on the speed of your machine.
Enhancements / New Features
- group follows, blocks, subscribes, and profile updates into visual meta summaries (that can be expanded to see full messages)
- preview window now displays for all types of posts (including profiles and gatherings)
- replies are no longer visible when the author of the thread has blocked the author of a reply
- added post visibility warnings to confirm publish dialogs (public, private, number of recps, assigned name visibility)
- request missing feeds when visiting profiles
- theme styling improvements (bring more dark style to light)
- add "Copy Embed Markdown" to right-click menu on all image blobs
- added back and forward keyboard shortcuts (thanks @mrchrisadams)
- upgrade scuttlebutt and electron dependencies to latest versions (thanks @christianbundy and @arj03 for all of their hard work on this one!)
- fix max height expand on gatherings
- feed no longer needs to do full refresh when you add a new post
- don't crash if compose box is empty (thanks @stripedpajamas)
- gatherings now display timezone (thanks again @stripedpajamas)
- fix crash when selecting Slovenian translation (thanks @nabijaczleweli)
New language translations
- Chinese by @yiwang
- Polish by @nabijaczleweli
- Russian by @koresar
- Ukrainian by @koresar
- updates to Spansih by @chipironcin
We need your help updating the translations in Patchwork!
Change Log (since v3.8.10)
- all attachments added to private messages are now encrypted
- audio and video attachments are now added as inline embeds (which will display in new versions of clients)
- add rendering of TickTack blog posts (thanks @mixmix)
- gatherings view now also displays all gatherings that people you follow are attending (and bump messages now correctly reflect which friends are attending)
- added Slovenian translation (thanks @ninabreznik)
- updates to Spanish translation by @gmarcos87 and @federicobond
- tweaks to german translation by @optikfluffel
- fix tracking of reply authors for hinting at author of missing messages
- auto-complete now matches all character variants
- local peers no longer flicker in and out of sidebar
- channel buttons in sidebar and all channels page now truncates long names correctly (thanks @mroseman95)
- fixed naming of Urdu translation and selection causing Patchwork crash
- search now uses full text index with ranking based on number of links (and is now much faster)
- mentions no longer include people unfollowing you (and neither does the public feed, but still shows on profiles)
- you can now search for all messages that reference a link by prefixing an ID with
?and pasting it in the search box (good for finding other references to blog posts, or mentions of people)
- there is also a "Find All References" on the link context menu that does the same thing
Change Log (since v3.8.8)
- fixed an issue where badly formed like messages could crash patchwork
- fixed autocomplete on channels including count in inserted text (thanks @hardfire)
- now shows a warning if a user is not followed by anyone (thanks @Happy0)
- clicking reply on the last message in the feed for a thread now behaves the same as clicking reply on the root message
- fixed jumping to the reply box on long threads
Change Log (since v3.8.7)
- fix missing strings
- don't show following warning while indexing
Change Log (since v3.8.6)
- your own messages no longer count as "new", instead are dynamically inserted into the feed (no more losing your place when you reply!) (thanks @setupminimal for starting this)
- added option to filter out channel subscriptions from public and channel pages (thanks @mnzaki)
- fix "Hide posts in channels that are not subscribed" setting (and improve wording)
- add link hover previews for channels
- rank channel auto-complete by most used
- profile auto-complete: prioritize thread members and highlight people you follow
- only show top friends/followers/following on profile page
- allow filtering profile lists
- fix some messages getting truncated (missing "Show more")
- add patchwork version info to settings screen (thanks @soapdog)
- fix appearance of divider in dark theme
- some typo/spelling fixes (thanks @capisce and @olegskl)
- focus on existing patchwork if already running (thanks @Happy0)
- show warning when user does not follow anyone (thanks again @Happy0!)
- "Learn More" in help menu now links to scuttlebutt.nz (thanks @lancew)
- local peers now disappear from sidebar on disconnect
- fix double channel mentions
What's new in Patchwork 3.8?
There have been pre-releases floating around for the last few months, but finally releasing this officially! Here is a summary of what has changed since the last official release (3.7.1):
There is now a "Block" button on each person's profile. If you click this, you will no longer see this person's posts. You will also be instructing others not to replicate your feed with this person so they shouldn't receive any more of your posts.
There is also now a warning on profiles when someone you follow blocks them.
2-degree replication (down from 3)
Initial sync is faster, and random strangers can now no longer message you. To see someone's messages, you now have to follow someone that follows them.
If a friend of yours replies to a message by someone that you can't see, a "missing message" placeholder will show. If they are using Patchwork 3.8 or higher, the placeholder will tell you who the message is from. It will also hint at who you should follow in order to see the message.
This is still a bit work-in-progress, and will be much improved shortly with "out-of-order" message support coming soon!
Profile / External Link Previews
Hover over someone's name to view information about why you are seeing their posts and whether they are likely to be able to see your replies. You will also be able to see their public key!
There is also now an icon next to the message header when you follow the author of the post.
Your Profile is no longer a free-for-all
In previous versions, anyone could assign a nickname or image to a person and it would appear on their profile. Now people will only see nicknames and images added by people that they or the profile actually follow.
You can now choose not see content in channels that you don't follow
In previous versions, if you follow someone, you see all of their posts in all channels in your main feed. There is now an option under "More > Settings" to "Only include posts from subscribed channels".
You will still see when your friends subscribe to channels and the list of active channels in the sidebar. You can also view "More > Extended Network" if you wanna take a peak at all posts in all channels.
- hashtags are now included in active channels
- added "Send Private Message" shortcut on profiles
- smarter Emoji Auto-complete
- posts tagged with channels you subscribe to now show in your public feed (including if someone replies to a message with a tag you follow)
- likes no longer bump messages on any view
- posts that are taller than 1500px are compressed down with "See more"
- posts referenced on a profile by other people (liked, replied to) now show compacted to only 200px high with "See more" button
- more translations
- pending updates now reflects actual messages in view
- highlighted new messages are now preserved after refreshing if you hadn't scrolled to them yet
- "view full thread" now scrolls to the top of the most recent posts
- added font size selector under More > Settings
Fixed in 3.8.6
- fix missing tagged posts on channels (since 3.8.5)
- posts from strangers that mention you no longer force display in main feed (just mentions tab)
- show icon next to people you follow on their post heading
- better explanations of why you are seeing posts from people you don't follow (subscribed channels)
Changes in this release
- add force disconnect button on Connected Pubs
- fix ordering of realtime replies
- fix infinite loading when messages received out of order (since ~3.8.1)
- fix channel pages only showing first few posts (broken since 3.8.4)
- hashtags no longer include punctuation like
?at the end
Changes in this release
- add option (on More > Settings page) to only show posts for channels in the public feed you subscribe to (now you can hide posts from your friends about topics you don’t care about by not subscribing to that channel. It will still appear if the post has a tag you follow or mentions you or someone replies with a tag you follow)
- fix "Filter following messages"
- add Font Size option