Diabetes Food Database
Food information for people with diabetes. Visit the website at https://dfdb.netlify.com/ and search for a food item.
The infrastructure for this app is there, but the database itself is extremely lacking. Pull
requests are welcome! Please look at modifying
When adding a new food, please include the following properties:
- name - The name of the food. Will be used for searching. Must be unique, singular (smoothie instead smoothies) and all lowercase (carrot instead of Carrot).
- displayName - A prettier name of the food. If the name is sugar, the displayName might be Sugar (with capitalization).
- alternateNames - An array of names people might also use when searching for this food. Should also be singular and all lowercase.
- level - A number from 1 to 5.
- 1 = Avoid - Diabetic people should stay away from this food.
- 2 = Caution - This food can be eaten in moderation or under certain conditions.
- 3 = Okay - Neutral. No significant positive or negative health effects.
- 4 = Good - Food that is good for a diabetic person to eat.
- 5 = Great - Foods at this level are among the healthiest options.
- explanation - A reason why this food is or is not healthy.
- suggestions - Actions to take regarding this food. Alternatives to this food if it is unhealthy.
- ingredients - An array of items that make up this food. Items in this array must match the name of another food in the database.
Running the application locally for development
Clone the repository and install dependencies
> git clone https://github.com/travishorn/diabetes-food-database.git > cd diabetes-food-database > npm install
Start the backend lambda service and serve the client
> npm run start:lambda > npm run start:vue
The user interface will be available at http://localhost:8080/
- Axios - Querying the database from the client
- Fuse - Fuzzy text search
- Icons8 - Icon/favico
- Netlify - Hosting the client and the database API
- Pluralize - Helping normalize search queries
- Vue - User interface
- webpack-auto-inject-version - Place version at bottom of client
Copyright (c) 2018 Travis Horn
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.