Docker (AUFS) Android Emulator
This will allow you to build a Docker image running android emulators with NoVNC so you can see and work with them.
This image is built on Ubuntu 14.04 and runs Docker with AUFS support. It allows you to run an Android Emulator via the Android SDK within the image and view the desktop via NoVNC.
Note! - This only works if your docker host supports AUFS otherwise you'll run out of space.
New Note! - this build now installs the Android SDK and the image is now < 10Gb limit so you can use the more traditional docker with DeviceMapper without running out of space.
Follow these instructions to build a compatible docker host or cheat and use the public AMI I made available on AWS.
To build a compatible docker host do the following:
- Setup Ubuntu 14.04 - if on AWS use the Ubuntu Marketplace AMI.
- Make sure your host VM has at least 40GB of space, this image uses ~25GB when running.
- With AUFS Docker can use the entire host file system for image space vs devicemapper which is the docker default but has terrible 10GB limits and increasing it will cause you problems.
- Run the follow commands to install the aufs version of docker.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get -y install linux-image-extra-$(uname -r) sudo sh -c "wget -qO- https://get.docker.io/gpg | apt-key add -" sudo sh -c "echo deb http://get.docker.io/ubuntu docker main\ > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list" sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get -y install lxc-docker
- Setup docker to work without sudo
sudo service docker start sudo usermod -a -G docker ubuntu
- Restart AWS Machine
- Test Docker - don't fret if it throws an error, see next step
- If that didn't give the information screen do the following
(remember skip this step if docker info already works) sudo docker -d ctrl-z sudo service docker start docker info
- Clone this repo
git clone https://github.com/typemismatch/android-emulator.git cd android-emulator
- Build the docker image
docker build -t android-emulator .
- Run the image
docker run -dt -p 6901:6901 android-emulator
- You can now browse to your host IP on port 6901 and run vnc_auto.html, eg. http://localhost:6901/vnc_auto.html (pwd below)
- You'll now find the android SDK under the root folder, everything is now included in this build so you can run ./android avd to setup your emulators.
- The default vnc password is "vncpassword".
Pre-Built Docker Image
You can grab this image from the docker hub, docker pull https://hub.docker.com/r/craigw9292/android-emulator/