In October 2018 I released a completely re-thought and re-designed version of Beautiful Web Type. The first version of the project (and many subsequent projects following in its footsteps) put an emphasis on stylized examples of the typeface in use. This often served to hide the flaws and limitations of the various typefaces.
In contrast, the new version of the site aims to provide a complete look at each typeface, cataloging all the available weights and styles, the kerning quality, OpenType features, special characters and more.
I have spent a great deal of time sorting through the growing number of open-source typefaces. I will highlight only those that show a high level of quality.
I plan on growing this site to be the definitive resource for open-source type. Please consider supporting the project via Patreon.
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ubuwaits
- Newsletter: https://tinyletter.com/beautifulwebtype
- Personal site: https://chad.is
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ubuwaits
2018 Nov 09
- Added first group of recommended typeface pairings. Each pairing example is also available from the detail pages of the respective typefaces.
2018 Nov 06
- Added short description for each typeface
2018 Nov 04
- Added a P2P mirror via the Dat protocol at dat://beautifulwebtype.com/. You can access the distributed version using Beaker Browser.
- Updated the sample for IBM Plex Mono
I will be adding new typefaces continuously. Get notified when new typefaces are added by signing up for the newsletter.
- Alegreya Sans
- Archivo Black
- BioRhyme Expanded
- Cooper Hewitt
- IBM Plex Mono
- IBM Plex Sans
- IBM Plex Sans Condensed
- IBM Plex Serif
- Libre Franklin
- Playfair Display
- Source Serif Pro
- Zilla Slab
I'm happy to receive suggestions for typefaces to feature either though a GitHub issue or via email. When sending the suggestion please send an example or two of the type in use. This helps me to make an initial evaluation of the typeface.
Old version of site
The old version of the site is archived here: https://beautifulwebtype.com/v1/
To work with the site locally, start the Jekyll server and watch the Sass files with: