Spotify support for Phoniebox
(this document is a MUST read for all users of the +Spotify Edition) If you have new information on using Spotify with Phoniebox, please add them here.
If you want to integrate Spotify:
- You must have a Spotify Premium subscription. Phoniebox will not work with Spotify Free, just Spotify Premium.
- You need a non-Facebook Spotify username and password.
- If you created your account through Facebook you'll need to create a "device password" to be able to use Phoniebox. Go to http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/, login with your Facebook account, and follow the instructions. However, sometimes that process can fail for users with Facebook logins, in which case you can create an app-specific password on Facebook by going to facebook.com > Settings > Security > App passwords > Generate app passwords, and generate one to use with Phoniebox.
- MP3 (local music) handling has completely changed for the +Spotify Edition. The tracks need to be indexed by Mopidy & Mopidy-Spotify (this is the part of Phoniebox, which gives you spotify support) and the created M3U files do have another structure than normal M3U files.
- You have to scan you library once (if you hadn't yet) and everytime you upload new local tracks to your Phoniebox.
- You can scan local files under "Folders & Files" (Top Navigation).
- For the future we try to integrate an automation for that.
Keep up to date with the latest versions
There have been issues in the past with the +Spotify edition regarding the speed on startup and delay time when launching audio. I had feedback from an avig Phoniebox user that updating the underlying packages (mainly
mopidy) helps a lot. Here is something you might want to try:
- Upgrade the software db and packages
~~ sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade ~~
This takes a longer time. Don't get confused. It updates, downloads and installs the latest packages.
This will update
mopidy to a version 2.2.x (written in June 2019)
Once the Phoniebox has started and the "startup" sound was played, wait another 45-60 seconds to make sure
mopidy is running.
To make sure
mopidy starts when booting the Phoniebox, you can also once type:
sudo systemctl enable mopidy
This should work after installation. However, it's the manual way to tell your Phoniebox that it must start
mopidy when booting.
Bug reports and testers
Testers needed for the Spotify integration Please read more in this thread.
If you open an issue on github, please provide as much informations as you can. What is you Edition (Classic or +Spotify)? Which version so you have? What is the problem and what did you try to solve this? And so on..