An awesome list of open source software for official statistics.
An item on this list is awesome because it is
- free, open source, and available for download and
- used in the production of official statistics by at least one institute or provides access to official statistics.
We prefer software that is easy to install and use, has at least one stable version, and is actively maintained. Contributions welcome.
- Nov 2021: Awesome list in keynote Edwin de Jonge at uRos2021
- Nov 2021: Awesome list in Int. Conf. on Data Science and Official Statistics (ICDSOS): slides
- Oct 2021: Awesome list in Px-meeting 2021: slides
- Jan 2021: Awesome list in 10th EG meeting on SDMX: slides
- Dec 2020: Awesome list presented on uRos2020: slides
- Dec 2019: 100 items on the list!!!
- Jun 2019: Awesome list presented on Modernstats World: slides
- Dec 2017: List started during UNECE SDE 2017
GSBPM 2.1)Design frame and sample (
- R package SamplingStrata. Optimal Stratification of Sampling Frames for Multipurpose Sampling Surveys.
- R package R2BEAT Multistage Sampling Allocation and PSU Selection
GSBPM 2.2)Design variable descriptions (
- Excel SDMX Matrix Generator. Excel-based visual SDMX artefact authoring tool which generates SDMX-ML for upload into an SDMX repository such as a registry. By OECD.
GSBPM 4.1)Sampling (
- R package sampling. Several algorithms for drawing survey samples, including a variety of unequal probabiltiy sampling designs (high entropy, systematic, Rao-Sampford, etc.), and calibrating design weights.
- R package surveyplanning. Tools for sample survey planning, including sample size calculation, estimation of expected precision for the estimates of totals, and calculation of optimal sample size allocation.
- R package PracTools. Functions and datasets related to Valliant, Dever, and Kreuter (2018 2nd ed), Practical Tools for Designing and Weighting Survey Samples.
GSBPM 4.3)Scraping for Statistics (
- Java application URLSearcher. An application for searching Urls. Can be used to find websites of enterprise. By ISTAT.
- Java application URLScorer. Gives a rule based score to scraped documents in a Solr database. By ISTAT.
- Node.js tool RobotTool. A tool for checking (price) changes on the web. By Statistics Netherlands.
- Python Social-Media-Presence. A script for detecting social media presence on enterprises websites. By Statistics Poland.
- Python Sustainability Reporting. A script for measuring sustainability reporting from enterprises websites. By ONS.
- Python urlfinding. Software for finding websites of enterprises using a search engine and machine learning. By Statistics Netherlands
GSBPM 5)Process (
- R package blaise. Reading and writing Files in the Blaise Format from R. By Statistics Netherlands.
- Java application Java-VTL. A partial implementation of the Validation Transformation Language, based on the VTL 1.1 draft specification. By Statistics Norway.
- Java application ADaMSoft implements procedures for data analysis, data, web and text mining. Also contains procedures for data validation and imputation, based on the principle of Fellegi and Holt.
- R package dcmodify. Derive new variables or modify data using externally defined data modification rules.
GSBPM 5.1)Data integration and record linkage (
- R package reclin. Functions to assist in performing probabilistic record linkage and deduplication: generating pairs, comparing records, em-algorithm for estimating m- and u-probabilities, forcing one-to-one matching. Can also be used for pre- and post-processing for machine learning methods for record linkage.
- R package RecordLinkage. Implementation of the Fellegi-Sunter method for record linkage.
- R package StatMatch. Statistical Matching or Data Fusion
- R package fastLink. Implements a Fellegi-Sunter probabilistic record linkage model that allows for missing data and the inclusion of auxiliary information. Documentation
- R packages stringdist. Approximate string matching. Supports various string distances (Damerau-Levenshtein, Hamming, Levenshtein, optimal sting alignment), qgrams (q- gram, cosine, jaccard distance) and heuristic metrics (Jaro, Jaro-Winkler). An implementation of soundex is provided as well.
- R packages fuzzyjoin. Join tables based on exact or similar matches. Allows for matching records based on inaccurate keys.
- R Java MySQL RELAIS. A toolkit providing techniques for dealing with record linkage. The purpose is to identify the same real world entity that can be differently represented in data sources. By Istat.
- R package XBRL. Extraction of Business Financial Information from XBRL
GSBPM 5.3 | 5.4)Statistical data editing and imputation (
- R package validate. Data validation checks such as on length, format, range, missingness, availability, uniqueness, multivariate checks, statistical checks and checks on SDMX codelist. See Cookbook. By Statistics Netherlands
- R package validatedb. validate on a SQL database, providing validation on bigger data.
- R package validatetools. Checking validation rules on redundancies and contradictions. Useful if your validation rule set grows in complexity.
- R package errorlocate. Error localisation based on Fellegi and Holt, supporting categorical and/or numeric data, linear equalities, inequalities and conditional rules and MIP-based error localization.
- R package VIM. Visualisation and imputation of missing data. Imputation using (robust) linear regression methods or donor-based methods (kNN, hot-deck).
- R package simputation. Front-end to (combinations of) advanced imputation methods following the tidy tools manifesto. Supports regression (standard, M-estimation, ridge/lasso/elasticnet), hot-deck methods (powered by VIM), randomForest, EM-based, and iterative randomForest imputation. Reuse of fitted models and definition of simple user-defined methods are supported as well.
- R package SeleMix. Detection of outliers and influential errors using a latent variable model for selective editing.
- R package univOutl. Various methods for detecting univariate outliers.
- R package extremevalues. Detection of univariate outliers based on modeling the bulk distribution.
- R package deductive. Deductive correction and imputation using edit rules and (partially) complete data.
- R package deductive. Deductive correction and imputation using edit rules and (partially) complete data.
- R package rspa. Adapt Numerical Records to Fit (in)Equality Restrictions.
- R package mice. Multiple imputation by chained equations, aka fully conditional specification, accompanied by van Buuren (2018) Flexible Imputation of Missing Data.
GSBPM 5.6 | 5.7)Estimation and weighting (
- R package survey. Weighting and estimation for complex survey designs, possibly under nonresponse. Also computes estimator variance. See also R package srvyr for integration with tidy tools.
- R package hbsae. Small area estimation based on hierarchical Bayesian models.
- R package rsae. Small area estimation based on (robust) maximum likelihood estimation.
- R package CalibrateSSB. Calculate weighs and estimates for panel data with non-response.
- R package ReGenesees. Like survey, but with specific features (e.g. partitioned calibration) that make it fit for processing large-scale surveys. Implements different estimators with sampling errors, and ships with a dedicated GUI (package ReGenesees.GUI).
- R package vardpoor. Linearization of non-linear statistics and variance estimation.
- R package convey. Variance estimation on indicators of income concentration and poverty using complex sample survey designs. Wrapper around the survey package.
- R package icarus. Provides detailed tools for performing calibration and several of its varitations, in a familiar setting for Calmar users in SAS.
- R package gustave. Provides a toolkit for analytical variance estimation in survey sampling.
- R package rtrim. Trends and Indices for Monitoring data. Provides tools for estimating animal/plant populations based on site counts, including occurrence of missing data.
- R package surveysd. Calibration, bootstrap and error estimation for complex surveys.
- R package inca. Calibration weighting with integer weights.
GSBPM 5.6 | 5.7)Time series and seasonal adjustment (
- Fortran X-13ARIMA-SEATS Seasonal adjustment software, by Census Bureau produced maintained and distributed by the US Census Bureau.
- R package seasonal. Interface to the
X13-ARIMA-SEATSprogram from R with a very nice shiny GUI.
- R package x12. Alternative interface to the
X13-ARIMA-SEATSprogram from R with a focus on batch processing time series.
- Java application JDemetra+ The seasonal adjustment software officially recommended for the European Statistical System.
- R package RJDemetra R interface to JDemetra+.
- R package tempdisagg methods for temporal disaggregation and interpolation of time series.
GSBPM 6.2)Output validation (
- R package validate. Rule management and data validation.
GSBPM 6.4)Statistical disclosure control (
- Java application μ-ARGUS. Tool to create safe micro-data files. See also the casc page.
- Java application T-ARGUS. Tool to protect statistical tables. See also the casc page.
- R package sdcMicro. Disclosure control for statistical microdata.
- R package sdcTable. Disclosure control for tabulated data.
- R package easySdcTable provides an interface to the package sdcTable.
- R package sdcHierarchies allows to generate, modify and export nested hierarchies.
- R package SmallCountRounding can be used to protect frequency tables by rounding necessary inner cells so that cross-classifications to be published are safe.
- R package simPop. Simulation of synthetic populations from census/survey data considering auxiliary information.
- R package sdcSpatial. Create privacy protected density maps from location data. Includes visual sensitivity assessment and several protection methods.
- R package synthpop. Produce synthetic versions of microdata containing confidential information so that they are safe to be released to users for exploratory analysis.
GSBPM 7.2)Statistical Dissemination (
- Java application SDMX Converter. Converts between SDMX versions and formats like CSV, FLR etc. By Eurostat.
- Java application SDMX-RI. Framework for disseminating data in SDMX webservices. By Eurostat.
- C# VB.NET ASP.NET PxWeb. Web application for dissemination of statistical tables in Px format or SQL data in the Nordic Data Model.
- Node.js and other .Stat Suite. An SDMX-based platform to build tailored data portals, topical or regional data explorers, or lightweight reporting platforms. By SIS-CC.
- JSON SDMX-JSON. JSON variant of SDMX. Works together with the SDMX-REST API.
- JSON JSON-stat. Simple lightweight JSON format for statistical dissemination. Based on a Cube model with dimensions organised in categories.
GSBPM 7.2)Visualisation (
- R package tabplot. Compare up to about 10-20 variables simultaneously using a tableplot. See also tabplotd3 for a web-based GUI. Note: 2022-03-03: Temporarily not on Cran but expected to be back in 2022.
- R package tmap. Thematic geographic maps, including bubble charts, choropleths, and more.
- R package oceanis. To create maps for statistical analysis such as proportional circles, chroropleth, typology and flows. By INSEE.
- GeoJSON/TopoJSON cartomap A (growing) list of simplified maps useful for web cartography for World, Europe and countries.
- GeoJSON/TopoJSON Nuts2json Simplified geometries for web maps of European NUTS regions. By Eurostat.
- R package treemap. Space-filling visualisation of hierarchical data.
- R package btb. Conservative kernel smoothing method for spatial analysis.
- Node.js StatMiner, Experimental visualization framework from Statistics Netherlands.
- R package PantaRhei. Sankey plots suited for (circulair) economical systems such as energy systems, material flow accounts and water accounts. Supports loops.
GSBPM 7.4)Access to official statistics (
- R package rsdmx. Easy access to data from statistical organisations that support SDMX webservices. The package contains a list of SDMX access points of various national and international statistical institutes.
- R package and C++ readsdmx. Read SDMX into dataframes from local SDMX-ML file or web-service. By OECD.
- Python sdmx. Python library that implements SDMX 2.1 to explore data from SDMX data providers, parse data and metadata and convert it into Pandas objects.
- R package rjstat. Read and write data sets in the JSON-stat format.
- Python package pyjstat. Read and write JSON-stat.
- Java module json-stat.java Read and write JSON-stat. By Statistics Norway.
- R package oecd Search and Extract Data from the OECD
- R package sorvi Finnish Open Government Data Toolkit
- R package eurostat Tools to download data from the Eurostat database together with search and manipulation utilities.
- R package acs Download, Manipulate, and Present American Community Survey and Decennial Data from the US Census.
- R package inegiR Access to data published by INEGI, Mexico's official statistics agency.
- R package cbsodataR. Access to Statistics Netherlands' (CBS) open data API from R.
- Node.js package cbsodata.js. Access to Statistics Netherlands' (CBS) open data API from js.
- Python package cbsodata.py. Access to Statistics Netherlands' (CBS) open data API from Python.
- R package censusapi A wrapper for the U.S. Census Bureau APIs that returns data frames of Census data and metadata.
- R package nsoApi builds on other packages to access data from official statistics and tries to harmonize the API.
- R package CANSIM2R. Extract CANSIM (Statistics Canada) tables and transform them into readily usable data.
- Python package pyscbwrapper. Access to the open data API of the Swedish Statistical Institute
- R package pxweb. Generic interface for the PX-Web/PC-Axis API used by many National Statistical Agencies.
- R package PxWebApiData. Easy API access to e.g. Statistics Norway, Statistics Sweden and Statistics Finland.
- R package rdbnomics. Access to the DB.nomics database which provide macroeconomic data from 38 official providers such as INSEE, Eurostat, Wolrd bank, etc.
- R package readabs Download data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
- R package statcanR. An R connection to Statistics Canada's Web Data Service. Open economic data (formerly CANSIM tables) are accessible as a data frame in the R environment.
- R package cdlTools. Downloads USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) cropscape data for a specified state.
- Java package SDMX Connectors. Browse SDMX data providers, build your queries and get data directly in your favourite tool (R, SAS, Matlab, Stata and Excel). By Banca d'Italia.
- R package csodata Download data from Central Statistics Office (CSO) of Ireland.
- R package iriR. Client for the European Commission’s Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard (IRI)
- R package czso. Access open data from the Czech Statistical Office.
- R package ipumsr. Access to the Integrated Public Use Microdata Series archive ipums.org (international censuses, harmonized U.S. data).
Awesome contributions are welcome, here are ways to do it:
- The GitHub way: send us a pull request to add directly to this list.
- Add an item to the issue tracker issue tracker. (you need a GH account)
- Send an e-mail to
mark dot vanderloo at gmail dot comor
olav dot tenbosch at gmail dot comor tweet @olavtenbosch or @markvdloo
Wear the badge. Authors of software that is mentioned on this list gain the right to wear the mentioned in awesome badge on their website or GH repository. Please use the following code (or equivalent) to do so for your project.
[![Mentioned in Awesome Official Statistics ](https://awesome.re/mentioned-badge.svg)](http://www.awesomeofficialstatistics.org)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.