Budgie Tangible Music Blocks
We developed Budgie Programming Kit to teach basics of composing music and programming for children. We developed the system for the students with mixed visual abilities.
Using Music Blocks
It includes physical blocks to code music with your smartphone. Physical blocks include NFC stickers to be recognized by smartphone. We decided on some pre-defined shapes, you can 3D print, laser cut or use cardbards to replicate these shapes. You can follow the print and play [work-in-progress] guide to prepare the tangible blocks.
After preparing the tangible blocks, you can use smartphone application to compose music. To take a detailed look on coding and composing you can use code and play [work-in-progress] guide to learn about coding and basics of music theory.
You can find 3D Design Files from link: Tangible Kit - 3D Design Files
Integrating to the Curriculum
We want to develop a full curriculum with music and code and propose it to Department of Education. Before, we need to test our design and learning outcomes with workshops.
The first workshop includes three main activities:
- Introducing the physical properties of sound,
- Introducing music theory
- Introducing coding blocks and composing with code
You can find the workshop document from link: Workshop 1 Document (in Turkish)
Contributing to the Repository
We would like to see all kinds of contributions from students, teachers, developers and inclusive design community. You can support us in various ways:
- Contribute to code: We want to make it available as possible. So, next step will be the iOS and Web Application.
- Contribute to curriculum: We want to develop a full-year computational thinking application. Our first workshop was the first step of this curriculum.
- Contribute to design: We conducted some sessions with visually impaired developers and try to understand their interaction with the shapes and mobile phone. But, there might be some other principles which might be adopted to system. We would like to see the contributions of designers and researchers to our project.
- Contribute to translation: We have English and Turkish resources. Translating the documents will be a great support for us.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.