The LatAm project is an international collaboration of digital humanities scholars from Brumfield Labs, LLILAS Benson, World Historical Gazetteer, and CONICET. This project has been awarded with a Resource Development Grant by Pelagios Commons.
Build a digital version of Alcedo's gazetteer
Content: place names of Latin America with geographical/historical description
- 1786 original
- 5 volumes
- John Carter Brown Library's version
- George Alexander Thompson's Geographical and Historical Dictionary of America and the West Indies
- contais substantial expansions and updates
- at the end of volumes 1 &3 there are 'addiciones & correcciones' sections
- at the end of vol 5 there are sections for 'provincias' and 'vocabulario'
- the Diccionario is of place names, not places really. A name can refer to several places, from a nearby river to a settlement in another country.
- some entries have very large text sections with details about people, events (lists of OBISPOS, CAPITANES, etc)