Interesting Open Source Projects
This is a list of open source projects that our community thinks might be interesting to other students. If you find an open source project on GitHub that you like, and you want to make others aware of it, throw some info below.
- Neovim: https://github.com/neovim/neovim. A fork of Vim written in VimScript and C
- Xi: https://github.com/xi-editor/xi-editor. Google's Rust-based text editor project. Written in Rust.
- Notepad++ https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus. Mostly written in C++. There are also some html and Python. Many issues as well as many simple issues for starters.
- Wordpress's Gutenberg editor plugin https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg - mostly written in JS.
- Mozilla Focus (iOS): https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/focus-ios. Mostly written in Swift.
- Mozilla's Developer Tools: https://github.com/devtools-html. Web based dev tools from Firefox. React, JS, CSS.
- Inter Planetary File System: https://github.com/ipfs. A peer-to-peer file system written in Go, JS, and other languages.
- DAT Project: https://github.com/datproject. Distributed Web tools. JS, CSS.
- Cockatrice: https://github.com/Cockatrice/Cockatrice - A cross-platform virtual tabletop for multiplayer card games. Written in C++
- Stratux: https://github.com/cyoung/stratux - Aviation weather and traffic receiver based on RTL-SDR. Raspberry Pi, Web Based app.
Social Causes, Accessibility, Code for People
- https://blog.github.com/2018-10-02-join-the-social-impact-hacktoberfest-challenge/ - GitHub's list of repos, projects with a social dimension for Hacktoberfest.
- OptiKey: https://github.com/OptiKey/OptiKey/wiki. Eye controlled keyboard, written in C#. See this cool video on Twitter: https://twitter.com/github/status/1047509333150318593
- Open Broadcaster Software - OBS. Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. Mostly written in C++. Here is a git repo: https://github.com/obsproject
- https://github.com/google/flatbuffers - Google Flatbuffers (Serializing data) Multiple language support