Awesome Linux Dev Tools
This is a collection of awesome Linux applications and tools for developers. All of them are freesoftware and opensource; most are directly installable with the package manager built into your preferred distribution.
Any comment or suggestion? Cannot you find an application to do something? Let us know!
- Editors and IDE
- Development Tools
- Command Line Tools
- Design and Graphics
- File Management
- Virtual Machines
- Translation Tools
- Frameworks for Hybrid Apps
Editors and IDE
- Atom - A hackable text editor.
- minimap - A preview of the full source code.
- autocomplete-paths - Autocomplete + paths suggestions
- file-icons - Assign file extension icons and colors for improved visual grep.
- git-time-machine - Visually interact with git command history for a file.
- color-picker - A Color Picker.
- Brackets - A modern, open source text editor that understands web design.
- Kate - An advanced editor integrated in the KDE desktop environment.
- LightTable - The next generation code editor.
- Emacs - A popular text editor used by programmers, scientists, engineers, students, and system administrators.
- Vim - A highly configurable text editor built to make creating and changing any kind of text very efficient.
- Gnome Builder - IDE for the Gnome platform.
- QtCreator - A cross-platform IDE tailored to the needs of Qt developers.
- Eclipse - Popular open-source IDE, mainly for Java but with plugin support for a wide array of languages and platforms.
- NetBeans IDE - A free and open source IDE, mainly used for Java development, but supports many other languages and frameworks.
- CodeBlocks - The open source, cross platform, free C, C++ and Fortran IDE.
- LiteIDE X - Simple, open source, cross-platform Go IDE.
- Git - The Version Control Tool.
- Git Cola - A sleek and powerful graphical Git client.
- Gitg - The GNOME GUI client to view git repositories.
- Koala - A GUI application for Less, Sass, Compass and CoffeeScript compilation.
- Meld - An application to visually compare and merge files.
- TeXstudio - An integrated writing environment for creating LaTeX documents.
- Gisto - Snippets manager, desktop frontend for GitHub Gist.
- LinkChecker - Find out all the invalid links.
- GtkInspector - Built-in interactive debugging support in GTK+.
- FakeSMTP - Fake SMTP server with GUI for testing emails in applications easily.
Command Line Tools
- Terminix - A tiling terminal emulator for Linux.
- screen - Multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes, typically interactive shells.
- tmux - A "terminal multiplexer", it enables a number of terminals (or windows) to be accessed and controlled from a single terminal.
- Fish Shell - A smart and user-friendly terminal, similar to zsh.
- Prezto - The configuration framework for zsh: it enriches the command line interface environment with sane defaults, aliases, functions, auto completion, and prompt themes.
- oh-my-zsh - It comes bundled with a ton of helpful functions, helpers, plugins, themes, and a few things that make you shout.
- oh-my-fish - Like oh-my-zsh, for Fish Shell.
- bash-it - Shameless ripoff of oh-my-zsh for Bash.
- mycli - A command line client for MySQL that can do auto-completion and syntax highlighting.
- MySQL Workbench - MySQL Official GUI.
- ElectroCRUD - Modern MySQL CRUD Application.
- Chrome MySQL Admin - This is a powerful Chrome app to manage your MySQL.
- Robomongo - Native and cross-platform MongoDB management tool.
- Redis Desktop Manager - Redis visual interface.
- sysdig - System-level exploration: capture system state and activity from a running Linux instance, then save, filter and analyze.
- Glances - Glances is a cross-platform curses-based system monitoring tool.
- LNav - Log file navigator.
- Baobab - Graphical application to analyse disk usage.
Design and Graphics
- Inkscape - The vector graphics editor.
- Gimp - A cross-platform image editor.
- Krita - Professional free and open source painting program.
- Blender - 3D creation software.
- Trimage - Compress images in multiple formats.
- GColor - Color-picking tool.
- GPick - Advanced color picker.
- Zim - A desktop wiki.
- Marp - A Markdown presentation writer with cross-platform support.
- EME - Elegant Markdown editor.
- Getting Things Gnome - A personal tasks and todo-list items organizer.
- Hamster - Personal time tracker.
- Freeplane - Free mind mapping and knowledge management software.
- ShellShape - Gnome extension for tiling windows.
- KeePassX - A light-weight and open-source password management app.
- File Roller - Interface for many archiving and compression formats including ZIP, RAR and ACE.
- Krusader - An advanced twin panel (commander style) file manager.
- Virtual Box - A powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product.
- Boxes - A simple application to access remote or virtual systems.
- Poedit - The best editor for translating gettext PO files.
- Lokalize - Localization tool for KDE and other open source software.
Frameworks for Hybrid Apps
- React Native for Ubuntu - Build Ubuntu desktop apps using React Native.