Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Update October 2016: I've abandoned this project for Project Renovation, a bottom-up attempt at achieving the same goals.
oTranscribe is used by thousands of people every day -- but the code is messy, undocumented and untested. oTranscribe2 is an attempt to rewrite the application from the ground up to enhance:
- Stability: Well-tested code should hopefully result in fewer bugs for end users.
- Extensibility: Well-structured and well-documented code is easier to add new features to.
- Permanence: Both of the above will hopefully ensure that oTranscribe is able to adapt to future changes to the web platform.
I've made a start, but I need your help. Below is the current to-do list of everything I would like to re-implement into oTranscribe (and a few new features below that). If you would like to contribute, please pick one of the to-do list items below, or suggest an enhancement.
- Elliot Bentley
Guidelines for contributing
Please keep the following in mind if you are contributing code:
- Write tests for any new code you add. Tests are in the
testdirectory and use Chai for assertions. Please don't break any old tests; modify them if appropriate. Untested code, or code which breaks existing tests, will not be merged.
- Please edit documentation (currently stored in Readme) to match any additions or changes.
- Any additional libraries should be carefully considered before adding, as they will increase page weight.
- Feel free to open a ticket on GitHub to discuss how any task should be approached.
Existing features to re-implement:
- Skip backwards before resume
- Control speed
- Scrubbable progress bar (with file name)
- History panel
- Store history for file
- Restore past version
- Multiple language support
- Help page (or maybe a link to page on github wiki)
- "Last media" stored in transcript details
- Speed slider styling
- Improve performance of progress bar
- Formatting buttons light up when over a formatted section (queryState?)
Browser filetype compatibility
- check when loading in a file
- provide message in UI
- Export panel UI
- Export plain text
- Export Markdown
- Export to Google Drive
- Export to OTR
- Import OTR
- Select media file
- Clear media file
- Video files (with player in corner)
- Offline access (with ServiceWorkers, maybe using jakecache)
- Should all work even when text editor is focused (add class 'mousetrap' to '.text-editor')
- Esc: Play/pause
- F1 (or Ctrl+1): Rewind
- F2 (or Ctrl+2): Fast-forward
- F3 (or Ctrl+3): Slow down
- F4 (or Ctrl+4): Speed up
- Ctrl+B: Bold
- Ctrl+I: Italic
- Ctrl+U: Underline
- Ctrl+J: Insert timestamp
- Ctrl+S: Manual backup
- Ctrl+O: Open file list
- Bugfix (Safari only): When removing formatting, caret jumps to end of line
- Bugfix (Safari only): Hitting return loses texteditor focus
- Bugfix: Can’t upload same audio file twice in a row