Welcome to the gsoc2015 wiki, which will be the central hub of information about the R Project participation in the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) for 2015. Administrators are Toby Dylan Hocking, Brian Peterson, and Virgilio Gomez Rubio as a backup. Everyone who wants to participate in Google Summer of Code with R should join the low-traffic google group email@example.com. Please read the R-GSOC-FAQ and the Google FAQ before posting questions to the google group!
Overview of GSOC
In short, each student will get paid $5500 to work on an R package for 3 months during the summer:
- Mentors can add projects to give ideas to students.
- Students should look at the list of projects and see if any project interests them. If so, email the project mentors to express your interest, and describe any prior experience. Students with ideas for R projects not listed below are encouraged to post a query on the gsoc-r google group.
- Students will submit project applications directly to Google Melange.
- Google will award a certain number of student slots to the R project.
- The GSOC-R administrators and mentors will rank projects in order of importance to the R project, and the top projects will be funded.
- Students get paid $5500.
- Mentors get code written for their project, but no money.
Status and Timeline
Note that this is an incomplete timeline of just the most relevant entries. For the complete timeline see http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page
|9 Feb 2015||Admins||Org applications begin.|
|20 Feb 2015||Admins||Org applications end.|
|9 Mar 2015||Mentors||Soft deadline for mentors to post project ideas.|
|16 Mar 2015||Students||Can begin submitting applications to Google.|
|20 Mar 2015||Students||Soft deadline for students to submit project tests to mentors.|
|27 Mar 2015||Students||Hard deadline for students to submit applications to Google. Please use our template.|
|13 Apr 2015||Admins||Deadline for requesting student project slots in melange.|
|24 Apr 2015||Admins||19:00 UTC IRC #gsoc deduplication meeting.|
|25 May 2015||Students||Begin coding, first payment $500.|
|26 June 2015||Students/Mentors||Mid-term evals begin. Students need to post a link to code in “Results” column of the projects table.|
|3 July 2015||Students/Mentors||Mid-term evals end, second student payment $2250.|
|17 Aug 2015||Students||Pencils down (soft deadline).|
|22 Aug 2015||Students||Pencils down (hard deadline), final evals begin.|
|28 Aug 2015||Students/Mentors||Final evals end, final student payment $2750.|
|25 Sept 2015||Students||Soft deadline for student code submission.|
|6-7 Nov 2015||Admins/Mentors||Mentor summit at Google.|
|22 Nov 2015||Admins||Deadline for requesting $500 per student mentored (regardless of pass/fail).|
Previous GSOC ideas and projects
2015 is the first GSOC for which will use GitHub to organize the R project participation in GSOC. Previously we used http://rwiki.sciviews.org but now it is down.
- Hans Werner Borchers has compiled a list of 2008-2014 projects.
- 2014 was on the RWiki which no longer works and was never backed up by the wayback machine, but we have backup copies in this GitHub repos and the info on Google Melange.
- 2013 is on the wayback machine,
- 2012 is on the wayback machine,
- 2011 on CRAN.