Sphinx makes it easy to create intelligent and beautiful documentation.
Sphinx uses reStructuredText as its markup language, and many of its strengths come from the power and straightforwardness of reStructuredText and its parsing and translating suite, the Docutils.
- Output formats: HTML, PDF, plain text, EPUB, TeX, manual pages, and more
- Extensive cross-references: semantic markup and automatic links for functions, classes, glossary terms and similar pieces of information
- Hierarchical structure: easy definition of a document tree, with automatic links to siblings, parents and children
- Automatic indices: general index as well as a module index
- Code highlighting: automatic highlighting using the Pygments highlighter
- Templating: Flexible HTML output using the Jinja 2 templating engine
- Extension ecosystem: Many extensions are available, for example for automatic function documentation or working with Jupyter notebooks.
For more information, refer to the the documentation.
The following command installs Sphinx from the Python Package Index. You will need a working installation of Python and pip.
pip install -U sphinx
We appreciate all contributions! Refer to the contributors guide for information.
Releases are signed with following keys: