Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Development: Getting started
This is a guide for people who want to start contributing to VisiCut as a developer.
Setting up the environment
sudo apt-get install netbeans git
sudo apt-get install ant fakeroot checkinstall nsis inkscape
- Java SE Development Kit 8: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
- NetBeans (Java SE): http://netbeans.org/downloads/
- Git: https://git-scm.com/download/win
- if you want to build the .exe installer, you also need NSIS http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download
- OS X: Get NetBeans (Java SE) here: http://netbeans.org/downloads/ and Git here: http://git-scm.com/downloads.
If you want to build the installer, Debian/Ubuntu is recommended because you can generate the packages for all other operating systems from there.
Editing the Graphical User Interface layout
If you want to change the GUI layout, some parts are created using the Swing GUI Form Editor which was removed from NetBeans after version 7.0.1. Because this old version (http://netbeans.org/downloads/7.0.1/index.html) may have problems with Java 8, we suggest that you use Netbeans 8.1 (or possibly newer) and download the Form Editor as a plugin from here: http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/43853/swing-application-framework-support. To install the plugin, open Netbeans and click on Tools - Plugins - Downloaded - click "Add plugins...", open the file and then click Install. Uninstallation is unfortunately only possible by removing your netbeans folder (Linux: ~/.netbeans/) If you're only changing non-UI code, you don't need this; but please use it instead of manually editing the UI code otherwise you'll desynchronize the code and the form XML which is painful to fix.
- Open up a terminal (git bash on windows)
- cd to a folder, where you want to have the VisiCut sources e.g.:
- clone the VisiCut repository including the LibLaserCut repository
git clone --recursive https://github.com/t-oster/VisiCut.git
- If you get an error message that --recursive is unsupported (old version of Mac OSX e.g.), use:
git clone https://github.com/t-oster/VisiCut.git cd VisiCut git submodule init git submodule update
- Open up NetBeans
- Open the LibLaserCut project, then the VisiCut project:
- File->Open Project
- select the path where you cloned the VisiCut repository, expand it and select the subfolder "lib/LibLaserCut"
- Hit 'Clean and Build'
- File->Open Project
- now select the VisiCut path
Congratulations. You should now have the latest Visicut version.
If you have this setup and want to start developing, always update to the latest develop-version first:
Updating to the latest version
- In NetBeans, right-click on the LibLaserCut-project and select Git->Remote->Pull from Upstream
- If there is no Pull from upstream, use Pull... and use this URL: 'https://github.com/t-oster/LibLaserCut.git'. Select the branch "develop"
- Do the same with the VisiCut project (but use 'https://github.com/t-oster/VisiCut.git' and the branch "master" instead).
If you want to develop and publish a fix or a feature, read submit a fix or feature
To create distribute files for the different platforms run
cd distribute; ./distribute.sh
(answer "n" for all packages you don't need like windows etc.)
To view compile errors you need to run
make manually, in the main folder.