Mongoose RESTful API generator for your NodeJS Express App v0.3.1
A custom-built Mongoose generator for Yeoman. The base project has been forked from afj176/generator-mongoose and has been updated with many new features, tests and tweaks to get you full fledged out-of-the-box NodeJS Express API Application up and running, Route vs Model Segregation and much more.
Minimum Node Version : 6.x
Minimum NPM Version : 3.x
Whats New in v0.3.x?
New Runtime Configurable Email System with Nodemailer, sendgrid and mailgun Usage
New Runtime Configurable Email System with Nodemailer, sendgrid and mailgun
New Environment based Configuration System
Moved Helper functions to seperate object (util) in config
Linted all generated code
- Scaffolds out-of-the-box REST API Server
- Full blow n ready to use Authentication and Authorization (Passport + JWT + Redis)
- Generates All Ready to run files - Model ( Mongoose) - Api Route (endpoint) - Api Object (Business Layer, crud logic) - Documentation (API reffernce) - Test File
- Generates ready-to-rock README file with License(MIT), etc.
- Runtime Configurable Email System
- Highly Scalable System Configuration based on environment
- Conforms to jSend Specs for API JSON Response
- Modular and based on
Seperation of Concern
- Fast and readible code generation
- Email Templates
- Full Blown JWT REST Authentication
- ... much more
Table of contents
- Generator Restgoose
- Quick Links
- Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Command List
- Bucket List
- Guidelines for Contribution
- Generator Restgoose Core Team
What is Yeoman?
Trick question. It's not a thing. It's this guy:
Basically, he wears a top hat, lives in your computer, and waits for you to tell him what kind of application you wish to create.
Not every new computer comes with a Yeoman pre-installed. He lives in the npm package repository. You only have to ask for him once, then he packs up and moves into your hard drive. Make sure you clean up, he likes new and shiny things.
$ npm install -g yo
While running through a leafy mongodb field he picked up mongoose.
Generator-Restgoose scaffolds all API Routes, API Objects ( Bussiness Logic), Schema Models, Test Cases, and even Documentation for you with full CRUD functionality.
To install generator-restgoose from npm, run:
$ npm install -g generator-restgoose
Finally, initiate the generator:
$ yo restgoose
It should output a file structure similiar to:
.bowerrc .editorconfig .jshintrc api/ apiObjects/ config/ ... db.js ... lib.js docs/ public/ models/ routes/ ... index.js test/ views/ bower.json Gruntfile.js package.json Readme.md
- models - contains Mongoose Schema of an entity ( Data Layer)
- apiObjects - Contains business logic & model access for each entity ( Business Layer )
- api - Contains routes of each entity ( Presentation Layer / Controller )
- test - contains unit test cases for each entity
- docs - contains Detailed
markdownformatted documentation of each Schema generated through the sub-generator.
Put All Configurations in concerned environment in ./config. All of them inherit from global.
Don't forget to checkout the
require('./config').util module which contains many useful stuff (Json Validator, image to Base64 Converter, etc).
Use the Library as
var l = require('../config').util; ( which generates with every sub schema).
Try to use
l.p('Print something'); to log something. This will log to debug.log file.
Logging Two log files are served : debug.log and access.log.
All responses are valid jSend spec conformed JSON format.
Prepare for Development Server
Prepare for Test Server
Run the app
$ grunt server
$ grunt prod
Creates all required Model, Controllers, test cases, routes and documentations for a particular Schema. Run the sub generator for schemas:
$ yo restgoose:schema "article|title:String,excerpt:String,content:String,published:Boolean,created:Date"
You're creating a schema for article With the fields: title,excerpt,content,published,created create routes/article.js create models/article.js starting request to schematic for test mock data... create test/test-article.js create doc/article.md
Deletes all files (Model, APi Route, API Object, Doc, Test) for a particular schema. Run the sub generator for deleteschema:
$ yo restgoose:deleteschema "article" --force
N.B. You need to use --force else y=Yeoman will continue asking you to overwrite each file.
You're deleting all files for schema: article force api/article.js force apiObjects/article.js force models/article.js force docs/article.md force test/test-article.js
Enabled Passport + Redis + JWT based Authentication and Authorization for your RESR API server.
$ yo restgoose:auth "auth"
N.B. Run this before creating user model and auth controllers or else, they will be overwritten.
Instantiating Authentication ... create api/auth.js create apiObjects/auth.js create models/user.js create middlewares/passport.js create docs/auth.md create routes/sampleauth.js
You should checkout the
docs/auth.md after issuing this command for complete reference.
Getting To Know Yeoman
Yeoman has a heart of gold. He's a person with feelings and opinions, but he's very easy to work with. If you think he's too opinionated, he can be easily convinced.
- mkdir newAPi && cd $_ - Create new Server Directory and cd into it.
- yo restgoose - initiate a project
- yo restgoose:auth - Install JWT and redis ready auth system
- Uncomment app.js sections for auth and redis
- yo restgoose:schema "<schema>|field:DataType" - Create all routers, models, test and docs for a schema
- yo restgoose:deleteschema "<Schema>" - Delete all related generated files for a schema
- grunt - start server with watch enabled
- npm test - Start Testing generated schemas
Create Test for auth and delete sub-generators
- Write Testcase checking auth sub-gen
- API Dynamic on-demand Doc Generator
- Conform to REST API Standards
- Socket.IO Generator (wohooo)
- Docker Scripts
- AutoStart Script using PM2 ( 1 click deploy)
- Modulraize Architecture as Plug and play and SoC - will take huge time
Complete ReadME file for the generated api project Pre-defined generated docs for the generated API endpoints Complete README file for generator-restgoose project (this one) Write Reasons, Troubleshooting and migration for v0.1.5 to 0.1.6 in a wiki/blog- NA Seperate Nevironment Based Configurations API Versioning System out-of-the-box passportJS authentication with JWT\m/-
Generator Restgoose Core Team
- Development & Maintenance : Abhishek Deb
Copyright 2017 Abhishek Deb
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.