Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Installation and upgrade
- As of Luma3DS v8.0, boot9strap v1.2 or higher is required for usage and all previous entrypoints are no longer supported. Refer to this for information on how to update from arm9loaderhax, or start from here if you do not yet have arm9loaderhax or boot9strap.
- Download the latest version of Luma3DS from here. The file you want to download is
Source code (zip)or
Source code (tar.gz)!
Luma3DSvX.X(.X).7zarchive with a tool like 7-zip (Windows/Linux) or Unarchiver (macOS) to the root of your 3DS' SD card. If your 3DS will not power on after this step or you get an "Unsupported loader" error, please try updating boot9strap.
- Optional: Follow "Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS" here. This will allow you to boot your 3DS without having an SD card inserted.
- You can manually update Luma3DS by repeating "Installation" above, but we recommend using KunoichiZ's fork of Hamcha's LumaUpdate.
- To install LumaUpdate, you must have FBI installed on your 3DS.
- After getting FBI, you can install LumaUpdate by navigating to Remote Install>Scan QR Code and scanning the QR code on the LumaUpdate releases page. This requires an internet connection on your 3DS. If you do not have one, download the CIA (or ZIP if you'd like to use the 3DSX version instead) manually and copy the CIA file to your 3DS' SD card, and install it with FBI manually.
- If you want to use the 3DSX version of LumaUpdate instead of the CIA, download the ZIP archive on the LumaUpdate releases page and extract the "3ds" folder to the root of your SD card. You can then launch LumaUpdate from the Homebrew Menu.
- Once you have LumaUpdate installed, launch it from the Home Menu. To update Luma, selecting "Install stable version" and press "A". If this is your first time using LumaUpdate, it will ask you if want to enable CTRNAND Luma updating. This is up to you, but we highly recommend enabling it. LumaUpdate requires an internet connection on your 3DS.
"My 3DS shows a blue light for a second or two and then turns off/shows "unsupported loader" on the screen! What do I do?!"
Versions of Luma v8.0 and above require boot9strap v1.2 or higher. Please try updating your boot9strap installation here. Additionally, while third party bootloaders exist, we cannot guarantee compatibility with them; boot9strap is the only officially supported and recommended entrypoint.
"I got a network error installing LumaUpdate or updating Luma!"
Make sure your 3DS is connected to the internet.
"Some features that Luma3DS claims to have don't work for me!"
Are you on a firmware lower than 4.0.0? Many patches done by Luma are unsupported on firmwares below 4.0.0. With boot9strap and Luma3DS, there are no consequences when updating to the latest firmware, so we highly recommend doing so. If you are on the latest firmware, please try following the documentation detailing the feature you're having issues with more closely. This documentation can be found on thr pages listed in the wiki sidebar.
If you have an issue not listed here, it may be listed in Plailect's troubleshooting guide.