With this release, we're adding a couple of new features, some of them have been eagerly awaited for a long time!
Now, they're finally here, along with a few more smaller fixes and improvements.
- You can now invoke custom scripts whenever the theme changes. For more info, check the wiki! (#186)
- Auto Dark Mode now supports forcing certain themes using hotkeys! Want to quickly switch to dark theme for a bit? Easy! (#5)
- You can now configure the taskbar accent color to switch between light and dark mode. Also works when using the Windows .theme file mode! This gives you an option that is exclusive to Auto Dark Mode! (#206)
- Add copy button to UI version info. (thanks @joukevandermaas)
- Add info text about next sun times update to the location data section.
- The switching logic for the "dark theme on battery" option has been improved and now works correctly if theme switching based on sunrise/sunset is disabled.
- Better license info in updater. Also include license file with every ADM copy.
- The tray icon options are now translatable. (#287)
- Fix crash when leaving "NumberBoxGPUThreshold" or "NumberBoxColorDelay" control empty. (thanks @janek49)
- Fix Lat/Lon Boxes removing commas when they shouldn't.
- The service no longer closes during idle/sleep when using Logon Task Mode. (#357)
- Wrong wallpaper shown when single monitor mode is active. (thanks @janek49)
- NEW: Add Vietnamese translations. (thanks @KhoiCanDev)
- Updated Polish translations. (thanks @janek49)
- Updated Japanese translations. (thanks @maboroshin)
- Updated Bahasa Indonesia translations. (thanks @pc-v2)
- Updated Russian translations. (thanks @QuestYouCraft)
- Updated Simplified Chinese translations. (thanks @ThrRip, @shenzhiming88)
Since releasing our first Auto Dark Mode X build, we have taken care of many issues and also added some quality of life improvements.
We are not quite ready yet to publish details on the translation platform, but we're getting there!
For those who have made the effort and already contributed by modifying the resource files, thank you!
- You can now enable/disable checking for updates when Auto Dark Mode starts.
- Greatly improve the resiliency and reliability of the autostart mechanism. Auto Dark Mode will take care of your autostart entries! (#293, #259).
- You can now enable/disable autostart via the settings menu.
- Add warning message when adding Auto Dark Mode to autostart fails.
- Auto Dark Mode now starts a lot faster and is more responsive thanks to a new messaging system!
- Added a toggle to disable automatic theme verification in theme mode (#171).
- Added Windows default themes and custom themes installed via the Windows theme website (#175).
- Improve the reliability of the update notification.
- The update patcher has been rewritten in rust, and is now super tiny. This shrinks Auto Dark Mode by up to 35%!
- The update mechanism will now attempt to reconnect if it fails at boot.
- Add english terms in the language selection.
- The installer no longer shows command line windows when uninstalling.
- Auto Dark Mode will no longer crash when used with VPNs that terminate TCP sockets (#302).
- Fix Acrylic Blur on Windows 10 (#139).
- Mitigate laggy window dragging when using Windows 11 by disabling transpraency effects for now.
- Fixed a potential crash originating in the components infrastructure.
- Fixed an issue where Auto Dark Mode could not properly detect the active Windows theme and attempted to switch too often (#317).
- Fixed an issue with Win10 LTSC where the taskbar accent color would switch by mistake.
- Fix delayed startup when the updater can't reach the version servers.
- Fix issue where clicking the tray icon no longer opens the app.
- Allow smaller window sizes such that the App window is visible on larger scaling settings (#270).
- Fix issue in App that causes the location settings menu to open when using a default location (thanks @XRicko).
- Fix some UI elements not changing color in the App in Dark Mode (#285).
- Removed accent color highlighting so the menu navigation items are easier to read (#274).
- Fix scrolling when using touch screens (#309).
- The installer now correctly removes autostart entries during uninstall.
- Auto Dark Mode now shuts down nice and clean when you power down your system.
- Auto Dark Mode now properly responds to exit instructions from Windows.
After one year of work and rigorous testing, we now present the all new Auto Dark Mode X. It's now a future proof application that is made to be robust, while still carrying its light-weight and resource friendly characteristics.
First I would like to thank our new team member @Spiritreader. He has done an amazing job with the backend of Auto Dark Mode X and he invested many hours of valuable time in this project. He will continue to work actively on Auto Dark Mode.
Another good news: Auto Dark Mode is now also available on the Windows 11 Store as unpackaged installer.
- Rewritten Auto Dark Mode from scratch to introduce new background service for more reliable theme switching and extensibility.
- A modern and pleasing way to configure Auto Dark Mode to your liking.
- Don't switch themes while playing video games to avoid stuttering.
- Set wallpapers for each monitor.
- If you like your nights really dark, set a solid background color for your desktop.
- If you are on a laptop, you can let Auto Dark Mode switch your theme when disconnecting from wall power.
- All new update system so you will never have to read changelogs on github again.
- Install updates silently in the background, so you won't even be bothered by notifications.
- We now have update channels, so you can get that exciting new beta build.
- Don't like giving your personal location to Microsoft? You can now set your location based on geographic coordinates.
- Windows Default Location is now recognized and used for sun time calculation (thanks @XRicko #191)
- Improved theme switching for Windows theme files, now updates everything reliably. Includes support for patched UX themes!
- You can now install Auto Dark Mode for all users, but it's not recommended (no automatic updates).
- Set an offset without limits.
- Tray Icon.
- We now have a YAML based configuration file that is easy to view and edit.
- Fix Auto Dark Mode sometimes having trouble in life. If something was not working right in Version 3.0.1, it should now work in Version X.
- If you really like terminals, Auto Dark Mode now has a shell you can use to switch themes and more!
- Theme switching is now more stealth when you are resuming your computer from sleep. We use a system resume trigger to switch themes as you log in.
- Localizations are not 100% complete.
- Localization strings aren't translatable (you need to wait for the next release).
- Copy and pasting latitude and longitude into number boxes does not work if your country uses commas as decimal separators.
- Clearing text and number boxes is not recommended at the moment.
- VMware: transparency effects are not displayed correctly (the whole window is so messed up, you have to put it on a dark background).
- Windows 11: Switching wallpapers on different virtual desktops does not work yet.
- If you want to install Auto Dark Mode for all users, you will have to open a command line and type the following:
- Fixed a bug where the jump list didn't adapt to the selected language. (#138)
- Updated translations for Chinese and Polish.
- Wallpaper slideshow? Per monitor wallpaper? Accent Color? Mouse Cursor? I've heard you want to switch all these things with Auto Dark Mode. This update is my response to all your requests: Windows Theme Switching! Auto Dark Mode can now apply .theme-files you created in the Windows Settings. This gives you endless possibilities! (#35, #51, #53, #57 & #63)
- Sunset comes too early? This update adds the ability to apply a time offset if you are using location based times. (#67)
- Bonus: suntimes are now refreshing every second day instead once a week, so we can catch better up with the sun.
- Theme Switch now supports Microsoft Office 2016, 2019 and 365. (#24)
- Automatic grayscale color filter activation for dark mode, just like in Google Digital Wellbeing.
- Support for multiple users on one computer.
- Replaced autostart entry with a logon task trigger to reduce the switch delay after startup. You can switch to the old autostart entry at any time in the settings. (#96)
- Added the ability to set a custom delay time for accent color for taskbar to avoid black text on a black taskbar.
- Redesigned user interface with navigation bar.
- App-Icon refresh!
- New languages: Czech, Indonesian, Spanish and Dutch.
- Countless other improvements
- Setup now offers a easy uninstall of an old installed version. This is recommended for EVERY new update.
- New translations for Japanese and Portuguese.
- New (default) option: You can disable old UWP Edge theme switch completely.
- App-Icon now kinda has a higher resolution.
- Added donation reminder that popups randomly at app UI startup.
- Applied fixes for acrylic window above 1903 (#28).
- Fixed crash at startup on some machines with region set to US (#49).
- Fixed crash while applying theme on LTSB and LTSC machines, because MS Edge isn't installed (#44).
- Shortened task scheduler task names to avoid crashes.
- App doesn't restart anymore if the user didn't switched the language (#52).
- Correct version number in installer.
Some users run into issues while applying their settings. Please consider to first uninstall the old version of Auto Dark Mode, before installing this new one.
- Support for 12 hour clock #32.
- Optional instant theme switch for devices with connected standby.
- Added translation for the following languages: Chinese, French, Italian, Russian and Ukrainian.
- Auto Dark Mode can now search for new updates in the background.
- New startup argument /swap to swap the current theme.
- Improved dark theme.
- Improved keyboard navigation.
- Improved user interface.
- Message to inform users about theme switch issues with activated energy saver #30.
- Fixed window lag while dragging around #28.
- Fixed an issue where a new window opens without content #33.
I'm proud to announce Auto Dark Mode 2.2 with the coolest feature ever!
Changes in Version 2.2:
- You can now choose separate Desktop Wallpaper for each theme #23.
- Auto Dark Mode itself has now a dark theme. What a role model!
- The main window has now the famous fluent design acrylic effect.
- Custom tile for the start menu, now in fancy black!
- I made some code changes for higher efficiency.
- Happy release Windows 1903! Auto Dark Mode is prepared for you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please first uninstall the old version of Auto Dark Mode, due to some under the hood changes that could cause errors.
Changes in Version 2.1.1:
This update was re-released as Version 2.1.1. Some really important Bugs are now fixed, so please upgrade your Auto Dark Mode-App, even if you already installed the original 2.1 release.
Changes in Version 2.1:
- We have a new name! From Auto-Night Mode to Auto Dark Mode.
- Instant theme switch after starting up or waking up your Computer. Finally! (#20)
- You can now also choose minutes for your sheduled times. This also results in more accurate sunrise and sunset times. (#16 and #14)
- Support for different languages. At the moment the program is translated into english, german and polish. Thanks to @xmcgamer0x for the contribution.
- The Location-Time now updates weekly instead of monthly. The transitions between seasons are changing the sunrise and sunset-times pretty often.
Changes for Windows Version 1903:
- Accent Color can now be used for the Taskbar and other System Elements while dark mode is activated. With the sheduled switch to the light System-Theme, the App automatically turns off Accent Color and turns it back on, when the night comes.
- Current theme is now oriented on App-Theme when the System-Theme is set to Always dark/light.
- Setup now uses a certificate. Hopefully Windows Smartscreen will like my program in future.
- I tried to fix some Bugs with the theme switch for Microsoft Edge. Now it should use the correct theme. (#19)
- New tooltip for deactivated Options when Windows 1903 is not installed.
- Current Theme detection was not working in Version 2.0. Nobody noticed it, but now it works
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please first uninstall the old version of Auto-Night Mode, due to some under the hood changes that could cause errors.
Changes in Version 2.0:
- Microsoft fixed some issues with theme switching in Windows 10 version 1809 with a cumulative update. I don't know why they backported this improvement from the insider builds, but thanks to the guy at Microsoft who made this change! (#4)
- Automatic theme switching based on sunset and sunrise of your location. (#3)
- Added Jump-List, so you are able to switch the theme without needing to open the app!
- Support for the new system-wide light theme in Windows 1903. You can activate 1903 features at anytime in the About-Window. (#2)
- Microsoft Edge theme switching. (#6)
- Task schedules are now created in a subfolder.
- Improved Icon.
- Fixed a crash at program startup on some machines, due to a missing registry key. Thanks for your reports! (#8)
- Fixed an issue where the theme stayed white, if you wake up your pc some hours after the scheduled time for the dark theme. (#7 and #9)
- The program and uninstaller now removes more reliably the task scheduler entries.