Installation and basic settings
- LaTeX distribution in system PATH. For example, TeX Live.
- Please note MikTeX does not ship with SyncTeX. Please use built-in synctex functionality.
latexmkis required for the default recipe for building LaTeX projects to work. Alternatively, you can set up your own LaTeX recipe.
- Optional: Install ChkTeX to lint LaTeX projects.
- Optional: Install latexindent.pl for formatting support if it is not provided by your LaTeX distribution.
Installing LaTeX Workshop is simple. You can find it in Visual Studio Code Marketplace, or simply run
ext install latex-workshop in VS Code Quick Open (
The typical usage is to open a
.tex file and have a look at the TeX sidebar to access all the extension features
- Viewing and going from source to PDF back and forth
- Catching errors and warnings
- Navigating in environments
- Navigating the document structure. The section names of LaTeX outline hierarchy are defined in
latex-workshop.view.outline.sections. This property is an array of case-sensitive strings in the order of document structure hierarchy. For multiple tags in the same level, separate the tags with
|as delimiters, e.g.,
section|alternative. It is also used by the folding mechanism.
- Miscellaneous actions
- Open citation browser, see also Intellisense for citations
- Count words the
.texfile. It uses the
latex-workshop.texcount.pathto set the path to the
latex-workshop.texcount.argsto supply extra arguments.
If you prefer to access some all the most common actions through a right click menu, set
true. Default is
Starting with release 5.3.0, there is an experimental implementation on Docker support following the idea of @Arxisos. You can set
true to use
tianon/latex. It is advised that the image is 'pre-'pulled.