YY Data Service
A Poor Man's RTTI for the ABAP Environment on SAP Cloud Platform
The ABAP Environment on the SAP Cloud Platform comes with certain restrictions - which apply both to the language (we have a new, reduced ABAP language version 5) and the available libraries which were usually available to custom code on any ABAP platform. A whitelist contains the only objects which can be used in this environment. Though this whitelist will grow over time, there is still functionality missing for important features - one of them is Runtime Type Information (RTTI). This small library - called the YY Data Service - tries to make at least a small bit of RTTI available to custom programs on an ABAP system running on the SAP Cloud Platform
Please make sure to fulfill the following requirements:
- You have access to an SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment instance (see here for additional information)
- You have downloaded and installed ABAP Development Tools for SAP NetWeaver (ADT)
- You have created an ABAP Cloud Project in ADT that allows you to access your SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment instance
- You have installed the abapGit plug-in for Eclipse via the updatesite
Download and Installation
Use the abapGit plug-in to install the YY Data Service by executing the following steps:
- In ADT create the package
/DMO/YYas a subpackage under
/DMO/SAP(keep the defaulted values)
- In ADT click on
Other...and choose the entry
abapGit Repositoriesto open the abapGit view
- Make sure to have the correct ABAP Cloud Project selected (See the little headline in the abapGit view for the current project)
- Click on the
+icon to clone an abapGit repository
- Provide the URL of this repository:
- On the next page choose the master branch and provide the package
- Provide a valid transport request and choose
Finish. This starts the cloning of the repository - which might take a few minutes
- Once the cloning has finished, refresh your project tree
- Usually, the imported objects are not activated after cloning. Use the mass activation feature in ADT to activate those artifacts.
If you want to get some information about ABAP data in the Cloud, YY makes it really easy for you. The service is ready-to-use, no configuration is necessary. Simply get an instance of the service class by calling
ZCL_YY_ABAP_DATA_SERVICE=>CREATE_INSTANCE. The one and only parameter
I_DATA expects the data which you want to investigate.
The resulting object of type
ZIF_YY_DATA_ELEMENT has two methods,
This method returns an object of type
ZIF_YY_DATA_DESCRIPTOR which describes the metadata of the respective element. If the element has a name (e.g. as a structure element), you'll find this name by calling the method
GET_NAME. If there was no name, it will return the value of
ZIF_YY_DATA_DESCRIPTOR=>CO_UNNAMED_OBJECT. The more important information is probably the type of the data element which you can get by calling
GET_TYPE. This one returns an instance of the interface
ZIF_YY_DATA_ELEMENT_TYPE. It's currently one and only method
GET_TYPE_NAME returns a textual representation of the data type. Constants for currently supported ones can be found in the interface
ZIF_YY_DATA_ELEMENT_TYPE as well. Depending on this format you need to decide which format your variable needs to have which you use to get the actual data from
If you have a simple data type such as a number or text, you get it directly back using this method. For structures and tables it's slightly more difficult. There you get the full information about the structure or the table in a nice format, either
ZIF_YY_DATA_ELEMENT=>TY_TABLE. They feature the structure elements or the table lines with their corresponding data element objects in their original order of sequence.
Currently no support for objects (reference types), only simple data types, structures and tables. And it's not even guaranteed that it works for them as you might expect... It's sample code!
As mentioned before, after cloning a abapGit repository some objects might not be active. Use the mass activation feature in ADT to activate those artifacts.
Copyright (c) 2019 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. This project is licensed under the SAP Sample Code License except as noted otherwise in the LICENSE file.