A tool to generate UML models from JSON schema documents.
To generate UML models:
- Eclipse Modeling tools (it can be found here).
To visualize the generated UML models:
- A UML 2.5 modeling environment in Eclipse such as Papyrus or UMLDesigner (we tested the tool with Papyrus).
- Open Eclipse IDE
- Click on Help / Install New Software...
- Click on Add... and fill in the form as indicated. The update site is
- Select JSONSchema to UML then click on Next.
- Follow the the rest of the steps (license, etc...) and reboot Eclipse.
Using the plugin
- Create a Project or use an existing project in your workspace.
- Import the JSON Schema documents.
- To generate a UML model from your documents you can right-click on a file or a folder containing your documents.
- A UML model corresponding to the input definition will be generated in the folder src-gen of your project.
Visualizing the Class diagram using Papyrus
- Install Papyrus if you didn't do it yet (You can find the instructions here).
- Open the perspective Papyrus.
- Right-click on the generated UML model and select New -> Papyrus Model.
- Follow the steps in the wizard to initialize a Class diagram (keep everything as predefined except in the Initialization information step where you should check Class Diagram as the Representation kind).
- Drag-and-drop the UML elements from the Model Explrer into the editor.
- Align and arrange the layout as you prefer.
The mapping in a nutshell
The generation process apply this (non exhaustive) list of mappings:
- Each JSON Schema element is represented by a UML Class
- Properties in JSON Schema elements represent the properties of a UML Class.
- If the property is of primitive type it will become an attribute in the UML Class
- If the property is of type enum, an Enumeration will be created and an attribute in the UML Class will be added
- If the property is of type object or refers to other element (using $ref), an association is created in the UML Class. The type of the association corresponds to the UML Class element created from the object (or the referred object)
- Hierarchies are created from
- The elements defined in
definitionsare considered as a library of JSON Schema elements and therefore they generate new UML Classes
- The folder structure is used to created UML Packages containing the UML Classes coming from the JSON Schema files.