Bareos (Backup Archiving Recovery Open Sourced) is a reliable, cross-network open source software for backup, archiving and recovery of data for all well-established operating systems. Features of Bareos include amongst others:
- True open source software; no open-core or other restrictions; License AGPLv3
- network based
- backends include Ceph, Gluster, S3
- multiple clients and storages possible; Active / passive clients possible
- Backup Clients ('Bareos-FD') available on Linux, Windows, MacOS, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, BSD
- Python plugin interface
- SAN-Backups using NDMP (with DAR/DDAR); NDMP tape support
- Always Incremental Backup scheme
- VMWare Plugin
- Scriptable CLI
- web based graphical interface (webui)
- Role-based ACL support for commands and objects
The source code of Bareos is available on https://github.com/bareos/ under the AGPL v3 license. Additionally Bareos offers binary package repositories for the major Linux distributions as well as for MacOS and Windows.
If you want to contribute something to this repo please read our contribution policy at
The Bareos project offers two mailing lists: bareos-users and bareos-devel.