What is this ?
Logstash-forwarder-java is a log shipper program written in java. This is in fact a java version of logstash-forwarder by jordansissel. Here are a few features of this program :
- compatible with Java 5 runtime
- lightweight : package size is ~2MB and memory footprint ~8MB
- configuration compatible with logstash-forwarder
- lumberjack output (including zlib compression)
Logstash-forwarder is written in go. This programming language is not available on all platforms (for example AIX), that's why a java version is more portable.
Logstash runs on java and provides a lumberjack output, but the file input doesn't run on all plaforms (for example AIX) and logstash requires a recent JVM. Moreover Logstash is heavier : it is a big package and uses more system resources.
So logstash-forwarder-java is a solution for those who want a portable, lightweight log shipper for their ELK stack.
How to install it ?
Download one of the following archives :
Or download the maven project and run maven package. Then you can install one of the archives located in the target directory.
How to run it ?
Just run this command :
java -jar logstash-forwarder-java-X.Y.Z.jar -config /path/to/config/file.json
For help run :
java -jar logstash-forwarder-java-X.Y.Z.jar -help
Differences with logstash-forwarder
The configuration file is the same (json format), but there are a few differences :
- the ssl ca parameter points to a java keystore containing the root certificate of the server, not a PEM file
- comments are C-style comments
Some options are the same :
- config (but only for a file, not a directory)
- idle-timeout (renamed idletimeout)
- spool-size (renamed spoolsize)
There are a few more options :
- debug : turn on debug logging level
- trace : turn on trace logging level
- signaturelength : size of the block used to compute the checksum
- logfile : send logs to this file instead of stdout
- logfilesize : maximum size of each log file (default 10M)
- logfilenumber : number of rotated log files (default 5)