This is an ATS wrapper for the 0MQ library. The wrapper is low level in that it wraps the C API and can be used in the same way. It includes ATS types to ensure that unsafe use of the library are compile time errors.
2013-07-21: Note that the latest version of ATS includes a wrapper for libzmq in the 'contrib' directory. At some point I'll migrate my libzmq using libraries to that and deprecate this library.
The 0MQ Guide has a number of examples in C. Some of these are converted to ATS in the TEST subdirectory. They have the same filename as the C versions but with '.dats' as the file extension. I'm working on converting the remaining guide examples, and adjusting the API as I do it.
Some items that remain to be done or are worth looking into:
- Blocking 0MQ calls can be interrupted by signals, returning an error with the errno set to EINTR. Can this be statically ensured that it is checked?
- Add zmq_poll and friends.
- Deal with threading safely.
- Deal with clean exit issues: http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all#Making-a-Clean-Exit
- Get zmq_init_data working.
- Can zmq_copy constraint be statically checked: "Avoid modifying message content after a message has been copied with zmq_msg_copy(), doing so can result in undefined behaviour."
- Statically ensure return values of functions are checked. Related to (1).
- Make zmq_poll related functions safer with regards to sharing the socket object.
The library is best used by cloning from under a parent directory that is used to store ATS libraries. This directory can then be passed to the 'atscc' command line using the '-I' and '-IATS' options to be added to the include path. In the examples below this directory is $ATSCCLIB.
$ cd $ATSCCLIB $ git clone git://githib.com/double/ats-libzmq.git libzmq $ cd libzmq $ make $ cd TEST $ make
The 'make' in the TEST directory will build the tests and delete them. Run 'make' on the specific tests to get the binaries to try the examples:
$ cd TEST $ make hwclient hwserver $ ./hwserver & $ ./hwclient
Copyright (C) 2011 Chris Double.
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.