AvantAdmin (plugin for Omeka Classic)
The AvantAdmin plugin customizes Omeka's admin interface and functionality to provide a simpler and more efficient workflow for administrators. It is intended for Omeka installations that:
- Do not use Omeka collections
- Use the same Item Type for every item
The plugin hides the Omeka Collections and Item Type options thereby saving the administrator from having to choose them each time they add a new item. This saves time and ensures that each new item is added correctly.
AvantAdmin provides the following benefits:
- Merges the Dublin Core and Item Type Metadata tabs into a single Fields tab.
- Displays the item's image(s) on the Fields tab page so that you can see the image for the item being edited.
- Hides the Omeka Item Type dropdown list from the Edit page and automatically assigns the same type to every item.
- Hides the Omeka Collection feature.
- Allows the administrator to configure the name for a single Item Type to be used for every item.
- Displays the admin Show page after a new item is added so that the admin can review the item to determine if further edits are needed. This overrides the normal Omeka behavior of displaying the Browse Items page.
- Displays an Item History on the admin Show page and lists the last five unique users that have saved the item. The list is in reverse chronilogical order from newest to oldest.
- Clearly indicates on the Show page if the item is not public (says the item is private). This helps to avoid the problem of creating a new item and forgetting to make it public.
- Redirects Omeka simple keyword search requests to AvantSearch (only if AvantSearch is activated).
- Allows guest users having the Researcher role to see and search non-public items using the public interface. Users with the Research role are prevented from accessing admin pages. On the public Show page, the field labels for private items (specified using AvantCommon) are displayed in gray italics to indicate they are private.
- Overrides the Omeka Dashboard to display the last 100 modified and recently added items.
- Provides a down-for-maintenance feature that prevents public users from accessing the database, but still allows administrators and developers to work on the site.
The AvantAdmin plugin requires that the AvantCommon plugin be installed and activated.
To install the AvantAdmin plugin, follow these steps:
- First install and activate the AvantCommon plugin.
- Unzip the AvantAdmin-master file into your Omeka installation's plugin directory.
- Rename the folder to AvantAdmin.
- Activate the plugin from the Admin → Settings → Plugins page.
- On the AvantAdmin configuration page, specify the name of the Item Type to be used for all itmes.
AvantAdmin has the following configuration options.
|Maintenance||When this option is checked, a "Down for maintenance" page will be displayed to public users to prevent them from accessing the site. Logged in users will not be affected.|
|Item Type Name||Specifies the name of the Item Type that will be used for every item in the installation.|
Use it at your own risk.
This plugin is published under [GNU/GPL].
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.