A simple forum with pages managed by Jekyll and threads powered by Disqus. Check out our sample site.
Follow these five steps to set up your own copy of Jekyll Discuss Forums:
Create a New Repository
Go to your https://github.com and create a new repository named forum
Enter these commands into your terminal in a directory you want your forum to be:
git clone https://github.com/klcodanr/Jekyll-Disqus-Forum.git forum cd forum git remote set-url origin email@example.com:USERNAME/forum.git git push origin gh-pages
Update your config.yml with all of the appropriate properties.
Navigate your new forum at http://USERNAME.github.io/forum
Creating Category Groups
Create a new page in the category-groups folder, it should have the following settings:
- category-group - always set to true
- id - the id of the category group
- title - the display title for the category group
- layout - default is category-group, but doesn't really matter
- summary - displayed as descriptive text on the category group listing
Once you are done, go ahead and update the
group-id of some categories.
First, create the category in Disqus. Login and go to Admin >> Settings >> Advanced. Click Add New Category and then give your category a name. Click Save Changes and note the category id.
Next, create a new page in the categories directory. It must have the following settings:
- group-id - the id of the group in which the category should display
- category - always set to true
- id - the id of the discus category
- title - the display title for the category
- layout - generally should be category, unless you customize the layouts
- summary - displayed as descriptive text on the category listing
The contents of the category page will be shown in a jumbotron on the category page by default.
Users can create discussions at any point. To manage your discussions, login to Disqus and select Admin >> Discussions. To remove a discussion from the form, change it's category to General.