Semantic parsing is the process of mapping a natural language sentence into an intermediate logical form which is a formal representation of its meaning.
The formal representation should be a detailed representation of the complete meaning of the natural language sentence in a fully formal language that:
- Has a rich ontology of types, properties, and relations.
- Supports automated reasoning or execution.
Early semantic parsers used highly domain-specific meaning representation languages, with later systems using more extensible languages like Prolog, lambda calculus, lambda dependancy-based compositional semantics (λ-DCS), SQL, Python, Java, and the Alexa Meaning Representation Language. Some work has used more exotic meaning representations, like query graphs or vector representations.
- FMR stands for functional meaning representation
- Context-Free Grammar for bridging NL and FMR
- VIM Syntax highlighting for FMR grammar file
- Grammar checkers
- Dialogue management
- Question answering
- Information extraction
- Machine translation
// semantic parsing "五与5.8的和的平方的1.5次方与two的和减去261.712" => nf.math.sub( nf.math.sum( nf.math.pow( nf.math.pow( nf.math.sum( 5, nf.math.to_number("5.8") ), 2 ), nf.math.to_number("1.5") ), 2 ), nf.math.to_number("261.712") ); // denotation: 1000 // slot filling "从上海到天津的机票" => nf.flight("上海", "天津"); "到重庆，明天，从北京" => nf.flight("北京", "重庆"); "到上海去" => nf.flight(null, "上海");
- Semantic Parsing: Past, Present, and Future, Raymond J. Mooney, 2014
- Introduction to semantic parsing, Bill MacCartney, 2019
- Bringing machine learning and compositional semantics together, Percy Liang and Christopher Potts, 2014
- SippyCup: A semantic parsing tutorial, Bill MacCartney, 2015
- Semantic parsing in your browser, Muuo Wambua, 2018