GMP is very much faster than Go's math/big however it is an external C library with all the problems that entails (cgo, dependencies etc)
This library was made by taking the cgo example of wrapping GMP from the Go source and doing the following to it
- Copying the implementation from misc/cgo/gmp/gmp.go
- Copying the documentation from src/pkg/math/big/int.go
- Additional implementation of missing methods
- Bug fixes for existing implementations
- Making it passes the test suite from src/pkg/math/big/int_test.go
- Adding memory management
- Fix problems on 32 bit platforms when using
int64values which don't fit into a
- Implementing Rat support making it pass src/pkg/math/big/rat_test.go
See here for package docs
Use go to install the library
go get github.com/ncw/gmp
See here for full package docs
To use as in a drop in replacement for math/big, replace
import big "github.com/ncw/gmp"
Features that aren't part of math/big are clearly marked and if you are using those, then I suggest you import as
To run the tests use
go test github.com/ncw/gmp
The tests have been copied from the tests for the math/big library in the Go source and modified as little as possible so it should be 100% compatible.
Here are the differences between math/big and this package
Rat.Denom()return a copy not a reference, so
- If you want to set them use the new methods
As this contains a great deal of code copied from the Go source it is licenced identically to the Go source itself - see the LICENSE file for details.
Contact and support
The project website is at:
There you can file bug reports, ask for help or contribute patches.
- Bert Gijsbers firstname.lastname@example.org