Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Adapter Release Notes
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.10 - March 5, 2018
- 461 Publish symbols with the adapter for debugging into the adapter and nunit, see
- 47 Adapter runs explicit tests when TFS TestCaseFilter is used
- 296 Mono.Cecil causes OutOfMemoryException with new .csproj PDBs
- 310 Consistent Category Display in Test Explorer Window
- 365 An exception occurred while invoking executor: Could not load file or assembly System.Runtime.InteropServices.RuntimeInformation (Thanks to halex2005 for PR 418)
- 419 Test result is Skipped when an exception has been thrown and the only warning is in TearDown
- 444 Dump file is not created when the test crashes
- 452 Adapter does not seem to respect any TestCategory filtering
- 460 Failure to load dependency assembly causes hang
Also see Release Readiness Review
Special thanks to : Joseph Musser for awesome work on this release,
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.9 - October 29, 2017
Change in supported versions
This version supports Visual Studio from version 2012, Update 1 and upwards, and all subsequent versions in 2013, 2015 and 2017. Visual Studio 2012 RTM is then no longer supported.
- 390 Pass DisableAppDomain and DisableParallelization settings to the Engine
- 392 Improve performance of discovery (Thanks to Navin (Microsoft) for PR 393, PR 406 )
- 394 The adapter tests are updated to use NUnit 3.8.1
- 372 netcoreapp + CultureInfo.CurrentCulture = bad time (Thanks to Aaron Housh (Dispersia) for PR 380 )
- 386 DateTime.Parse issue during test discovery with certain cultures (Also fixed by PR 380 )
- 302 BadImageFormatException building solution with unmanaged projects
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.8 - July 19, 2017
- The adapter now support running .net core projects. See this post for details. Note: Only supported by the nuget adapter, not the vsix.
- The adapter now uses version 3.7 of the engine to run tests (360)
- Attachments can be added to tests (358)
- Prepared for new upcoming Test Explorer functionality, as documented in this RFC (351)
- 298 $RANDOM_SEED$ is appearing in non-test project build output
- 259 An exception occurred while invoking executor 'executor://nunit3testexecutor/'
- 314 Any TestFixture deriving from a base-class which defines unit-tests will fail when the base-class is from another class-library
- 231 Improved message on failed loading. See also PR 309
- 338 Unhandled Exception when running through vstest.console.exe /listtests
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.7 - January 25, 2017
- The adapter now uses version 3.6 of the engine to run tests
- Warning messages are displayed. Note that Visual Studio currently lists them as skipped.
- Multiple assertion failures in a Multiple Assert block are displayed.
- 218 No tests found to run when TestFixture is a nested class
- 256 Rename $RANDOM_SEED$
- 258 Modify adapter to display multiple assert information
- 268 Make the Icon Larger
- 272 URL for "More information" should point to correct landing page
- 273 Report Warnings in VS adapter
- 276 Adapter requires test project pbd's to be generated for tests to be executed
- 288 Test parameters containing semicolons are truncated
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.6.1 - December 5, 2016
Note: This was a hotfix release of the vsix package only, fixing an issue that prevented it from installing under VS2012 and 2013.
- 260 VSIX no longer visible in Visual Studio 2012
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.6 - November 15, 2016
- Adds support for Visual Studio "15"
- 253 Warnings about $RANDOM_SEED$ during build
- 262 Support for VS 15
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.5 - October 22, 2016
- The adapter now uses version 3.5 of the NUnit engine
- The NuGet package is now installed as a tool and no longer creates unnecessary references in the project
- 97 Tests with dynamic/random parameters are never run closed:done is:bug pri:normal
- 204 If a test writes to Console.Error, the test passes but the session fails
- 220 Visual Studio Test Adapter - Writing to test output throws an error
- 221 Change adapter package to use tools directory
- 236 Update adapter to use Version 3.5 of the Engine
- 238 Just warn upon failing to restore random seed
- 239 Remove Error-level log messages from adapter where we don't want run to fail
- 243 NuGet package and copy local
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.4.1 - August 5, 2016
- We now use Cake to build and package the adapter.
- 198 Create Cake script for build
- 202 NUnit3 Test Adapter not running all tests in Visual Studio 2015
- 205 Adapter fails to find Mono.Cecil when targeting .NET 3.5
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.4 - July 2, 2016
- The adapter now uses the NUnit 3.4.1 TestEngine.
- TestRunParameters may now be provided in the
- Immediate text output from tests now displays in the Output window. This includes any output produced through Console.Error, TestContext.Error or TestContext.Progress.
- 132 Print to console not shown with v3 of adapter
- 138 Cannot run navigation tests under the console runner
- 145 Implement TestRunParameters inside .runsettings for runtime parameters
- 180 Upgrade to NUnit 3.4.1
- 181 Can't run requiring a 32-bit process
- 183 Use Mono.Cecil to retrieve source code locations
- 190 NUnit30Settings.xml is used by other process leads to hidden tests
- 192 Corrupt NUnit3Settings.xml causes crash
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.2 - June 3, 2016
- The adapter now uses the NUnit 3.2.1 TestEngine.
- 131 NUnit test adapter not running all tests - only on VS2015
- 135 Upgrade TestEngine to 3.2.1
- 162 Visual Studio 15 support
- 163 No source location when inheriting test methods from base test fixture
- 174 Clarify that NUnit v2 tests are not discovered by v3 adapter
- 176 More Information link in vsix broken
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 - April 2, 2016
This is the final production release of the 3.0 adapter. It continues to use the 3.0.1 release of the NUnit TestEngine.
The adapter now uses a
.runsettingsfile for all optional settings. Registry entries used in the CTP releases are no longer used.
- 49 Need a way to specify test settings
- 52 Having ApartmentAttribute on both classes and methods causes test runner to hang
- 85 Failure to run tests under vstest.console from VS2015
- 92 Provide option to run in parallel for parallelized tests
- 120 The ability to set the LevelOfParallelism attribute through the VS adapter
- 153 TFS Filter that matches no names runs all tests
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 9 - April 2, 2016
- The adapter continues to use the 3.0.1 release of the NUnit TestEngine.
- 2 CI Build
- 34 Identifying Non-Primitive Parameterized Inputs in Adapter vs Console
- 50 NuGet version install script doesn't work with VS 2015
- 66 Build the adapter in AppVeyor
- 84 CopyLocal=False is an issue in a specific use case
- 94 More Information Link in Adapter Broken
- 96 Working directory is set to VS TestWindow extension directory
- 102 Package VS2012 assemblies as a private NuGet Package
- 104 Can't overload async/await methods with NUnit Test Adapter
- 106 Explicit tests appear as warnings in NUnit 3.0
- 109 NUnit 2 tests are detected as errors
- 112 Test adapter fails to load an assembly that references a class from NUnit.Framework but contains no tests
- 117 Version 184.108.40.206 as NuGet package only. No tests detected in Visual Studio 2015
- 118 Corrupted ignore.addins file in installation
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 8 - December 2, 2015
- The adapter now uses the 3.0.1 release of the NUnit TestEngine.
- 81 Cannot run tests with '>' in name
- 86 Generic Test Fixtures are not getting triggered
- 88 Upgrade adapter to use NUnit 3.0.1
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 7 - November 16, 2015
- The adapter now uses the released NUnit 3.0 TestEngine.
- 75 Update adapter to use final release of NUnit 3.0
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 6 - November 10, 2015
- This release continues to use the NUnit RC 2 Engine.
- 14 NUnit Adapter throws System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException, even if the solution build is OK
- 56 Exception System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException after NUnit 3.0.0-beta-5 upgrade
- 68 NUnit3TestExecutor.MakeTestFilter does not create valid xml
- 69 NUnit 3.0.0-rc-2 : System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
- 70 NUnit3TestExecutor.MakeTestFilter creates element not handled by NUnit.Framework.Internal.TestFilter
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 5 - November 9, 2015
- This release uses the NUnit RC 2 Engine.
- 27 Async void methods do not show up as not runnable
- 43 Remove Wrappers for Engine Classes
- 45 Remove workaround for tests not sending events
- 53 Replace core engine
- 57 Confusing message when an NUnit V2 test is detected
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 4 - July 20, 2015
This release continues to use the NUnit 3.0 beta-2 engine but is nevertheless able to run tests that reference NUnit 3.0 beta-3 framework.
When a debugger is attached, only a single worker thread is used to run tests.
The adapter now compensates for the fact that NUnit does not send results for tests that were skipped due to an attribute on the fixture by generating those results itself.
- 16 Adapter does not detect C++/CLI assemblies
- 26 Ignored test case does not show up as ignored
- 33 Inconsistent display behavior in Test Explorer
- 36 Option to set number of worker threads
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 3 - May 22, 2015
This release was issued to correct a problem with locking of assemblies in ctp-2.
- 29 Latest test adapter locking dlls
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 2 - May 16, 2015
The adapter now uses the new nunit.core.engine to load and run tests, eliminating ad-hoc code that worked directly with the framework. This will allow us to much greater flexibility in the future.
The adapter has been upgraded to use the beta-2 release of the NUnit core engine. Because the API has changed from beta-1, the adapter can only run tests built against the beta-2 release of NUnit.
- 13 Adapter will not load as a NuGet package
- 17 Can't read app.config settings within test methods
- 18 Separate NUnit3TestDemo from NUnitTestAdapter solution
- 19 Use core engine
- 20 Upgrade NUnit to beta-2
NUnit3 Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 3.0 CTP 1 - April 6, 2015
- Initial release of the test adapter using NUnit 3.0. Note that the adapter may not be used to run tests written against earlier versions of NUnit. The original adapter is still available for that purpose and both adapters may be installed if necessary.
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio - Version 2.0 - April 1, 2015
- Tested for up to VS2015 Pre-release CTP 6
- Updated to use NUnit 2.6.4
- Adapter does not try to discover tests if the nunit.framework version is 3.0 or greater
- #61 Confusing NUnit version message made clearer
- #62 Adapter uses shadowcopy setting in discoverer but not in the executor
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (RTM) - Version 1.2 - September 17, 2014
- Tested for up to VS2013 Update 3
- Bugs 39 and 40 was inability to run under VS2012. This is now fixed.
- #24 Long-running tests ignored
- #34 Adapter causes ArgumentException to be thrown by Microsoft logger proxy's SendMessage method
- #37 TestExecution throws Exception System.InvalidOperationException in TFS Build
- #38 NUnit only accepts absolute paths to test assembly
- #39 VSTest unable to find NUnit tests since 220.127.116.11
- #40 NUnit version 18.104.22.168 is broken with test class which ran under 22.214.171.124
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (RTM) - Version 1.1 - April 26, 2014
- Support for NUnit 2.6.3
- Tested for up to VS2013 Update 2 RC
- Shadow copy now disabled by default, see issue #7 Unable to disable shadow copy.
- Registry settings added for some customization options, see Tips and Tricks
- All code moved to github
- #13 Category attribute not working with TFS test case filter
- #21 Xamarin.iOS NUnit project causes adapter to throw
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (RTM) - Version 1.0 - September 12, 2013
- This is the release version 1.0 of the test adapter.
- #1208148 The test result output node is not shown for debug/trace statements
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (RC) - Version 0.97 - September 12, 2013
- This is the release candidate for version 1.0 of the test adapter.
- #1208161 NUnit Test Adapter runs [Explicit] unit tests in TFS Build
- #1210536 No Source Available for Async Tests
- #1165188 Clicking "Run Selected Tests" doesn't show Trace.WriteLine() output
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 6) - Version 0.96 - June 28, 2013
- Support for Visual Studio 2013 Preview
- #1189268 Profile a test will crash with exception
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 5) - Version 0.95.2 - June 7, 2013
- #1188000, adapter dont work with solutions with only .net 2.0/3.5 project
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 5) - Version 0.95.1 Hotfix- May 28, 2013
- Hotfix for debug issue
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 5) - Version 0.95 - May 10, 2013
- #1174925 Add support for installing the adapter from NuGet
- #1155617 Grouping by class name in VS 2012 doesn't work
- #1165359 Exception after building Coded UI test
- #1116747 vstest.executionengine.x86.exe does not terminate
- #1093178 Eliminate unnecessary files from VSIX
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 4) - Version 0.94 - December 22, 2012
- Works with Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 as well as the RTM.
- Supports filtering and sorting tests by Traits under Update 1.
- Supports use of standard filter expressions when running under TFS Update 1.
- NUnit Categories specified on the fixture class are now recognized and honored.
- 1074891 Can't test multiple assemblies referencing different NUnit versions
- 1075893 Test execution fails if solution contains native C++ project
- 1076012 No source information found for async test methods
- 1087629 TestFixture Category not being recognised as traits in VS2012 update 1
- 1091020 Adapter doesn't support TFS Build traits/test case filtering
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 3-2) - Version 0.93.2 - November 2, 2012
- 1074544 Failures in Test Discovery not reporting sufficient information
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 3-1) - Version 0.93.1 - October 26, 2012
- 1072150 NUnit adapter 0.93 won't run selected tests
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 3) - Version 0.93 - October 24, 2012
- Works with Visual Studio 2012 RTM. Some features require the November CTP update.
- The adapter now uses NUnit 2.6.2. Among other things, this allows us to support async test methods. See the NUnit Release Notes for more info.
- Source file and line number can now be found for test cases that have an alternate name set.
- Console output from tests is now displayed in the Visual Studio Output window.
- TestFixtureSetUp and TestFixtureTearDown errors are now displayed in the Output window.
- The caret line (------^) is no longer displayed in the IDE since it depends on use of a fixed font.
- Tests may now be grouped and filtered by Category (only under the November CTP update for VS2012).
- 1021144 Text output from tests not displayed in Visual Studio IDE
- 1033623 Not possible to include or exclude tests based on [Category] attribute Released
- 1040779 Null reference exception on generic test fixtures
- 1064620 Support async test methods
- 1065209 Should call both RecordEnd and RecordResult at end of a test
- 1065212 Upgrade NUnit to 2.6.2
- 1065223 Error messages assume a fixed font, but don't get one
- 1065225 No display for TestFixtureSetUp/TearDown or SetUpFixture errors
- 1065254 Cannot open test from Test Explorer for tests in a Parameterized Test Fixture
- 1065306 Generic Fixtures aren't discovered.
- 1066393 Unable to display source for test cases with an alternate name set
- 1066518 Executed fast test appears in Not Run category in Test Explorer
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 2) - Version 0.92 - May 3, 2012
- Works with Visual Studio 2012 Release Candidate
- Uses NUnit 2.6
- 992837 Unable to Debug using VS Test Adapter
- 994146 Can't run tests under .NET 2.0/3.5
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Beta 1) - Version 0.91 - February 29, 2012
- Built against Visual Studio 11 Beta 1
- Uses NUnit 2.6
NUnit Test Adapter for Visual Studio (Alpha) - Version 0.90 - February 21, 2012
- First release of the test adapter. Compatible with the Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview.
- Uses NUnit 2.6.