Intro to Python Workshop, San Diego, 2014
Brought to you by San Diego Python, San Diego PyLadies, Inland Empire Python, Inland Empire PyLadies.
This repo is adapted from the geekgirl repo, which was for the San Diego PyLadies workshop at the Geek Girl Tech Conference on Saturday June 21, 2014.
Run it in your browser:
Instructions For Students
Before coming to the workshop, do the pre-workshop setup: part-0.ipynb
Workshop Agenda and Files
Students can follow along with the slides and speaker notes. This is helpful in case anyone falls behind and misses something.
Welcome and Intros
- Finish setup if you haven't yet: part-0.ipynb
20 Cool Things You Can Do With Python, Part A
- Slides: 20-things-part-a.pdf
Part 1: Numbers, strings, variables, booleans, "if statements"
- REPL demo examples: part-1.ipynb
Part 2: Lists and loops
- REPL demo examples: part-2.ipynb
12:30-1:15pm Lunch break
Eat and meet other students.
20 Cool Things You Can Do With Python, Part B
- Slides: 20-things-part-b.pdf
Functions and modules
List comprehensions, dictionaries, and tuples
- REPL demo examples: part-4.ipynb
Conclusion: stdlib, PyPI, next steps
Instructions For Instructors
Giving the Talk
Before giving the talk, IPython Notebook must be installed:
$ pip install 'ipython[notebook]'
How to run an IPython Notebook:
$ ipython notebook part-1.ipynb
You can view each of the files online using nbviewer.
At the workshop we gave the talk like this:
- We opened a Python shell on the projector monitor and an IPython notebook on the laptop monitor
- One person read the notebook and typed into the Python shell
- Another person stood in front of the audience and explained each step
- Questions were answered ad-hoc, occasionally by Googling answers or typing at the terminal
You can give this talk too!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. See LICENSE file for more details.