Saving a card after a payment
You can save a card to a customer to reuse for a later payment. Stripe ensures the card is properly authenticated before storing to reduce the risk that the cardholder will have to re-authenticate.
To save a card to a customer you need to use
When saving a card you will want to consider how you intend to reuse the card for future payments.
- An e-commerce store that lets existing customers pay with a saved card.
- A monthly subscription that charges the card on the first of the month.
- A hotel that charges a deposit before the trip and the full amount after the trip.
setup_future_usage to "off_session" will optimize for future off-session payments, while "on_session" will optimize for future on-session usage. If you plan on reusing the card for both on and off-session usage, set
setup_future_usage to "off_session".
The demo is running in test mode -- use
4242424242424242 as a test card number with any CVC + future expiration date.
4000000000003220 test card number to trigger a 3D Secure challenge flow.
Read more about testing on Stripe at https://stripe.com/docs/testing.
There are two implementations depending on whether you want to use webhooks for any post-payment process:
- /using-webhooks Confirms the payment on the client and requires using webhooks or other async event handlers for any post-payment logic (e.g. sending email receipts, fulfilling orders).
- /without-webhooks Confirms the payment on the server and allows you to run any post-payment logic right after.
This sample shows:
|Using webhooks||Without webhooks|
How to run locally
If you want to run the sample locally copy the .env.example file to your own .env file:
cp .env.example .env
Then follow the instructions in the server directory to run.
You will need a Stripe account with its own set of API keys.
Q: Why did you pick these frameworks?
A: We chose the most minimal framework to convey the key Stripe calls and concepts you need to understand. These demos are meant as an educational tool that helps you roadmap how to integrate Stripe within your own system independent of the framework.
Q: Can you show me how to build X?
A: We are always looking for new sample ideas, please email email@example.com with your suggestion!