convoLV2 is a LV2 plugin to convolve audio signals with zero latency.
It is a very basic plugin: Currently the only parameter is the Impulse-Response file and hence it is robust and efficient convolver.
The plugin comes in three variants:
- Mono: 1 channel in, 1 channel out. Mono IR file
- Mono To Stereo: 1 channel in, 2 channel out. Stereo IR file. (L, R)
- True Stereo: 2 in, 2 out. 4 channel IR file (L -> L, R -> R, L -> R, R -> L)
Excess channels in an IR file are ignored. If an IR file has insufficient channels for the required configuration, channel-assignment wraps around (modulo file channel count).
convoLV2's main use-case is cabinet-emulation and generic signal processing where latency matters.
For fancy reverb applications, see also IR.lv2.
make sudo make install PREFIX=/usr # Test in jalv LV2 host jalv.gtk http://gareus.org/oss/lv2/convoLV2#Mono # or jalv.gtk http://gareus.org/oss/lv2/convoLV2#MonoToStereo # or jalv.gtk http://gareus.org/oss/lv2/convoLV2#Stereo
Note to packagers: The Makefile honors
DESTDIR variables as well
OPTIMIZATIONS (additions to
see the first 10 lines of the Makefile.
You really want to package the superset of x42-plugins.
Under the hood
convoLV2 was written to demonstrate new features of LV2 1.2.0 (back in 2012):
- http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/buf-size/#powerOf2BlockLength - the plugin requires a blocksize that is a power of two.
- http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/buf-size/#maxBlockLength - the plugin only works with blocksizes between 64 and 8192 samples per period.
- http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/patch/ - allow a host to pass filenames to a plugin.
- http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/worker/ - on/offline instances. Re-loading an IR file is performed in the background, making the plugin realtime safe.
It since serves as example code for those LV2 extensions.
While the convolution engine supports pre-delay, channel-mapping and per-channel gain settings, these parameters are currently not exposed in the LV2 interface (hack tip: they are supported in the LV2 DSP and saved as text in the plugin-state which can be directly edited).