This package allows OSX Finder to display thumbnails, previews and metadata for "DirectDraw Surface" (DDS) texture files.
- Download the
.pkgfile of the latest release.
- Double-click on it.
- The Installer app will walk you through the installation process.
- To see thumbnails you may need to relaunch Finder (ctrl-⌥-click on the Finder icon in the Dock and choose Relaunch) or log out and back in again.
- You may experience high CPU and disk usage for a few minutes after installation while Spotlight re-indexes all of your DDS files.
Supported file formats
- DirectX 8/9 DDS
- DirectX 10 DDS extensions
- DXT1 / BC1
- DXT3 / BC2
- DXT5 / BC3
- ATI1 / BC4 / LATC luminance
- ATI2 / BC5 / RGTC normal map
- Uncompressed RGB, RGBA, RGBX, Luminance & Luminance + Alpha
- Uncompressed RG normal map
- Run the Terminal app (found in Applications → Utilities).
- Copy the following and paste into the Terminal app:
sudo rm -rf "/Library/Application Support/QLdds" "/Library/QuickLook/QLdds.qlgenerator" "/Library/Spotlight/DDS.mdimporter"
- Press Enter.
- Type your password and press Enter.
- There's some disagreement on how normal maps are stored. This plugin assumes the DirectX10 BC5 and OpenGL COMPRESSED_RG_RGTC2 convention that R=X,G=Y. Note: this is called "ATI2N (Alternate XY Swizzle)" in some tools.
- There's some disagreement on how the Blue/Z channel in a normal map is reconstructed. This plugin assumes the Blender convention that Blue:[0, 255] maps to Z:[0.0, 1.0]. Note: this is different from the Doom3 convention.
- Palettized and floating point encodings are not supported.
- DirectX 10/11 DXGI encodings other than those listed above are not supported - specifically BC6 / BC7 BPTC encodings.
- Requires OSX 10.6 or later.
Copyright © 2012-2016 Jonathan Harris.
Licensed under the GNU Public License (GPL) version 2 or later.