A collection of instructions and relevant files for editing/creating the MinnPost base maps which are designed for use in Tilemill.
Dealing with Maps
Map names are assumed to be the name of the relevant directory.
- Link map into MapBox projects:
fab map:"<MAP-NAME>" link;
- Unlink map into MapBox projects:
fab map:"<MAP-NAME>" unlink;
- Clone (and link) map:
fab map:"<MAP-NAME>" clone:"<NEW-MAP-NAME>";
To depoly a map, use the following. It will export the map as an mbtiles file, extract out tiles and json tiles, then deploy them to the various S3 buckets.
fab map:"<MAP-NAME>" production export_deploy:32
Optionally with min and max zoom levels:
fab map:"<MAP-NAME>" production export_deploy:32,7,8
Or for labels or without labels. These will create different folders on s3
for the respective type.
fab map:"<MAP-NAME>" production no_labels export_deploy:32,7,8; fab map:"<MAP-NAME>" production only_labels export_deploy:32,7,8
The following instructions are known to work on Mac OSX Lion and Snow Leopard.
- Install homebrew
brew install s3cmd; s3cmd --configure, you will then be asked for the AWS key and secret key.
brew install mapnik;Note the path prefix suggestion at the end of the mapnik install. You should add this to your
sudo pip install -r requirements.txt;
This will take some time, so download the OSM file from Cloudmade to your Downloads folder.
- Download and run the Postgres and PostGIS images from Kyng Chaos.
- Run the following to include the Postgres bin to your path:
echo 'PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/bin"' >> ~/.bash_profile; source ~/.bash_profile;
- Setup a PostGIS template for making new databases. Assuming you are in this project's folder, run the following.
source ./.postgis-setup.sh; postgis_setup;
- Create new PostGIS DB called 'minnpost_base_map':
createdb -U postgres -h localhost -T template_postgis minnpost_base_map
Import OSM data into Postgres (osm2pgsql
Use osm2pgsql to import the data.
- Install dependencies (this will take some time, especially osm2pgsql; be patient):
brew install automake; brew install libtool; brew install geos; brew install proj; brew install gdal --with-postgis;
- Install osm2pgsql:
brew install --HEAD osm2pgsql;
- To import, run the following (this will take a while):
osm2pgsql -K -c -G -U postgres -H localhost -d minnpost_base_map ~/Downloads/minnesota.osm.bz2
Open in TileMill
You should be able to open basemaps that use this date. Do note that it will take a fair amount of time to download the external shapefiles, and then render them. So, maybe work on something else for a bit.
- Census for Minnesota outline.