Butane no longer works
It's been a great ride, and I want to thank everyone who used the service in the past. This project singlehandedly kickstarted my learning of coding, and has taught me many new skills along the way.
Unfortunately, all great things must come to an end. Vk.com, the souce of the audio files has decided to discontinue their public audio API after an agreement with rightsholders. This means that butane is no longer able to fetch music for your enjoyment.
It's been fun, all the best luck with finding another music source!
A web app to search and download free music from Vk.com
- Superfast search queries
- Ginormous database of songs
- Clean interface
- On the fly playlist creation
- Playlist export/import as simple human-readable
- Linkable URL Hashtag searches butane.stereostance.com/#French Kiwi Juice
- Linkable URL Hashtag playlists butane.stereostance.com/#https://my.mixtape.moe/jtjxub.txt
- Hotkey functionality (ie: → for next song,
- Companion Soundcloud & Youtube userscript!
Disclaimer: Only tested on Chrome
(If anyone wants to help me with cross-browser-compatibility I would greatly appreciate it!)
Based on Alashow's awesome original design: https://github.com/alashow/music
The database being searched is vk.com's huge array of user-uploaded material. That being said, quality varies, but is usually great, especially for obscure content. It's at least better than Youtube rips!
Captchas are sometimes required to be entered, there is nothing I can do about this (sorry)
There are no ads, and the code is all opensource (obviously)
Uses the following publically available libraries:
- VK API
- bootstrap dropdown
- google fonts
- jquery drawer