Game server for Ultima Online
Project files can be build on Windows (VS, CMake, MinGW) and Linux (GCC, CMake).
Even using 64bit OS, Sphere must be compiled/executed in 32bit mode to work properly. Project files included on source code will compile it in 32bit mode by default.
Visual Studio (VS)
- Open the project file
SphereSvr.vcxprojusing Visual Studio
- On top menu, select the build configuration (Debug/Local/Nightly/Release) and click on
Build > Build Solutionto compile
- VS >= 2012 users: When opening
SphereSvr.vcxprojfor the first time it will request an update on project file, just click OK to update
- VS >= 2017 users: Newest VS have an modular installation which comes with just basic components, and extra components must be installed as needed. To compile Sphere you must open Visual Studio Installer to install
Desktop Development with C++workload
CMake / MinGW
You can compile using provided files.
Some libs are required to compile/execute Sphere on Linux. Use these commands to install:
Ubuntu 12 ~ 19
If you're using 64bit OS, enable 32bit support using:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If you're using Ubuntu 14 or older, the default package repository only have support up to MySQL 5.6, so add support for MySQL 5.7 packages using:
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb http://repo.mysql.com/apt/ubuntu/ trusty mysql-5.7' sudo apt-get update
Install required packages:
sudo apt-get install git sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib sudo apt-get install g++-multilib sudo apt-get install make:i386 sudo apt-get install libmysql++-dev:i386
CentOS 6 / 7 - Red Hat 6 / 7
If you're using CentOS 6 / Red Hat 6, the default package repository only have support up to MySQL 5.6, so add support for MySQL 5.7 packages using:
sudo rpm -Uvh https://dev.mysql.com/get/mysql57-community-release-el6-11.noarch.rpm
If you're using CentOS 7 / Red Hat 7, the default package repository only have support to MariaDB instead MySQL, so add support for MySQL 5.7 packages using:
sudo rpm -Uvh https://dev.mysql.com/get/mysql57-community-release-el7-11.noarch.rpm
Install required packages:
sudo yum install git sudo yum install gcc-c++ sudo yum install glibc-devel.i686 sudo yum install mysql-community-devel.i686 mysql-community-libs.i686
Get the source code and compile it
git clone https://github.com/SphereServer/Source.git cd Source make NIGHTLY=1 -f makefile
NOTE: Sphere source is also compatible with CMake compiler for users that prefer it over GCC
Coding notes for new contributors
- Make sure you can compile and run the program before pushing a commit.
- Rebasing instead of pulling the project is a better practice to avoid unnecessary "merge branch master" commits.
- Removing/Changing/Adding anything that was working in one way for years should be followed by an ini setting if the changes cannot be replicated from script to keep some backwards compatibility.
Copyright 2018 SphereServer development team
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License").
You may not use any file of this project except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0