Defrost Your WordPress Backup In A Virtual Machine
Defroster helps you restore your WordPress backup in a virtual machine to locally develop on your site or just to verify your backup.
This wouldn't be possible without Vagrant.
- You backup your WordPress site using any plugin that archives your files and the database.
I use BackWPup for that purpose.
Important: The archive must be a
.sqlfile must be located top-level in that archive.
- Ruby, RubyGems and the latest version of VirtualBox are installed on your machine
- You copied such a backup archive to
gem install vagrant
Build yourself a nice VM with your WordPress:
Be patient and wait for it to complete (takes less than 2 minutes on my machine).
Now you can point your browser to http://localhost:8080 and marvel at your locally running website.
If you need shell access, execute the following command to get into the VM:
Your WordPress files are located in
/var/www, the Apache Virtual Host is configured in
What you could use this for
- Verify your backup works
- Hack on your site when you're offline
- Test something before deploying it
Your feedback is appreciated!
Here's what you do: