Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
You are here: Wiki
Welcome to the Buoy wiki!
Buoy is a free and open source technology for connecting users with friends and allies in times of need. It exists to empower you and your communities with a decentralized, customized, alternative crisis response system that does not rely on intervention by the police, other government services, or corporations.
Here are a few good starting points for folks who want to contribute to the project or talk with us about it:
- Check out the Buoy project homepage.
- Read the project description and take a look at a few screenshots on the WordPress plugin directory.
- Watch some of our conference presentations, videos, and interviews.
We also have a Frequently Asked Questions page that addresses common technical, privacy, and philosophical concerns.
Contributing code, artwork, translations, and more
- Start by reading our Contributor guidelines.
- Look through open issues on our issue tracker. Feel free to tackle any open issue you feel up for. (Learn more about how we label issues.)
- Set up a local Buoy development environment.
- Consult the rest of this wiki for more information.
We also welcome donations to support our team of dedicated volunteers.
Talking with the team
- Drop in to our chat room. This is a great place to go for help navigating the code or to ask questions about what issues to work on.
- Tweet at the developers @BetterAngelsCR, Like us on Facebook, ask us questions on Tumblr, or message us on Diaspora* at email@example.com. (We tend to talk politics as much as we talk tech on social media.)
- Email us at BetterAngels@riseup.net
- Use the collective's PGP key:
6121 4D68 E0E3 54AA DE65 3B15 6FAE 063A 2F94 2A02
- Verifiable at https://betterangels.github.io/ at the bottom of the page.
Visit the Better Angels wiki to learn more about our other projects.
Every person who uses Buoy helps to make it better. Want to get involved?
- Read the USER MANUAL.
- Learn how to INSTALL & CONFIGURE Buoy for your community.
- Get or give TECHNICAL SUPPORT from or to other users.
You can also take a peek at the attention Buoy is getting in the media.