Hacker News Clone React/GraphQL
- React - (UI Framework)
- GraphQL - (Web Data API)
- Apollo - (GraphQL Client)
- Next - (Routing, SSR, Hot Module Reloading, Code Splitting, Build tool uses Webpack)
- Redux - (State Management)
- Node.js - (Web Server)
- Express - (Web App Server)
- Passport - (Authentication)
- Babel - (JS Transpiling)
- Flow - (Static Types)
- ESLint - (JS Best Practices/Code Highlighting)
- Jest - (Tests)
- Yarn Package Manager - (Better Dependencies)
- Docker - (Container Deployment)
- Declarative UI - (react)
- Flux State Management - (redux)
- GraphQL Fragment Colocation - (react-apollo)
- Prefetch Page Assets - (next)
- Universal JS - (node & express)
- Declarative GraphQL Schema - (react-tools)
- GraphQL Query Batching - (apollo-server-express)
- GraphQL Stored Queries - (apollo-server-express)
- Easy GraphiQL Include - (apollo-server-express)
- Local Authentication Strategy - (passport)
- Server Side Rendering - (next)
- Code Splitting - (next)
- Build to Static Website - (next)
- Container Based Runtime - (docker)
- Hot Module Reloading - (next)
- Snapshot Testing - (jest)
- Faster Package Install - (yarn)
- JS Best Practices - (eslint)
Server.js is the entry point. It uses Express and passes requests to Next. Next SSR renders the pages using
getInitialProps() hook from Apollo helper. Therefore the app makes GraphQL requests on the client or server.
When the client receives the page it preloads next page JS designated with
<Link prefetch href="/">. When the client navigates to the linked page it only needs to make a GraphQL query to render. Great!
Each directory contains a README.
root - Only contains config files such as Babel, ESLint, Docker, Flow, NPM, Yarn, Git.
How To Start
One Click Download & Run
You can download and run the repo with one command to rule them all:
git clone https://github.com/clintonwoo/hackernews-react-graphql.git && cd hackernews-react-graphql && npm install && npm run dev
Running the app in dev mode is fully featured including hot module reloading:
npm run dev
To run in production mode:
npm run build && npm start
The project runs out of the box with default settings (/src/config.js). You can include a .env file in your project root to configure settings (this is the 'dotenv' npm package). The .env file is included in .gitignore.
How To Test
This project uses Jest and can do snapshot testing of React components. Whenever a component is changed, please update the snapshots using
npm test -- -u or
How To Build For Deployment
npm run build: NextJS app with entry point server.js that uses Node.js/Express. Uses Babel compiler to transpile project src to build.
npm run build-docker
Docker Container: Builds a docker container using Dockerfile.
Static Website (Optional)
NextJS lets us make a powerful static website but you need to consider if you need server side rendering.
npm run build-static-website: Builds static website to /build/static. Use a static web server eg. NGINX/Github Pages.
Pull requests are welcome. File an issue for ideas, conversation or feedback.
After you ★Star this project, follow @ClintonDAnnolfo on Twitter.