- Fix symlink detect if it points to nothing by @Tester798 in #963
- Update README.md by @coreybutler in #1005
- Change Winget Releaser job to
ubuntu-latestby @sitiom in #1016
- Update README.md by @coreybutler in #1034
- Modified folder detection code against #1031 by @Humbunklung in #1032
- Update bug_report.yml by @coreybutler in #1040
- Update bug_report.yml by @coreybutler in #1041
- Update bug_report.yml by @coreybutler in #1042
- Fix small typo in README.md by @acdvorak in #1048
- Avoid unnecessary byte/string conversion by @Juneezee in #1049
- fix issue #932 by @nineninesevenfour in #965
- allow to run build.bat on paths with spaces by @nineninesevenfour in #967
- @Tester798 made their first contribution in #963
- @coreybutler made their first contribution in #1005
- @Humbunklung made their first contribution in #1032
- @acdvorak made their first contribution in #1048
- @Juneezee made their first contribution in #1049
- @nineninesevenfour made their first contribution in #965
Full Changelog: 1.1.11...1.1.12
This is a maintenance release. A new experimental
debug command has been added for troubleshooting.
- Update reference links, add Google source by @mon-jai in #909
- Fix install.cmd PATH bug by @davidribyrne in #918
- Add Winget Releaser workflow & Dependabot by @sitiom in #885
- Bump actions/stale from 4 to 7 by @dependabot in #921
- Bump vedantmgoyal2009/winget-releaser from 1 to 2 by @dependabot in #928
- Installer improvements when alt creds are required for elevation by @noelhibbard in #459
- Avoid panic after connection failure by @qiulaidongfeng in #949
- Bump actions/stale from 7 to 8 by @dependabot in #952
- Bump golang.org/x/sys from 0.0.0-20190813064441-fde4db37ae7a to 0.1.0 in /src by @dependabot in #936
- Bump golang.org/x/text from 0.3.2 to 0.3.8 in /src by @dependabot in #935
- @mon-jai made their first contribution in #909
- @davidribyrne made their first contribution in #918
- @sitiom made their first contribution in #885
- @dependabot made their first contribution in #921
- @noelhibbard made their first contribution in #459
- @qiulaidongfeng made their first contribution in #949
Full Changelog: 1.1.10...1.1.11
This is primarily a bug fix release.
Many users have requested UAC prompts be reinstated. NVM4W attempts to run commands without elevation. If this succeeds (i.e. developer mode is enabled and active), the process continues without prompts. If a command fails, an attempt to run it with elevated privileges will trigger the UAC prompt.
- Update error message when missing version argument. Fixes #722. by @0liver in #731
- Fix README.md incorrect element close by @WORMSS in #768
nvm useto be called with the part of the semver by @vladonemo in #709
- Refactor/minor typo fixed in comments by @SayefReyadh in #806
- Fix missing DisplayVersion registry key for nvm.iss by @awdr74100 in #796
- Update inno setup config to correctly report version (fix #851) by @psnitil in #868
- @0liver made their first contribution in #731
- @WORMSS made their first contribution in #768
- @vladonemo made their first contribution in #709
- @SayefReyadh made their first contribution in #806
- @awdr74100 made their first contribution in #796
- @psnitil made their first contribution in #868
A few PR's were manually added, since merging them proved to be difficult after other changes. So, I'd like to give a special thanks to the following folks whose PR's were manually included (but not recognized in the changelog):
Full Changelog: 1.1.9...1.1.10
NOTICE: If you downloaded this version before Dec 15, 2021 and are affected by issue #706, please re-download. This fix was not present in the initial binary and has since been corrected.
- Code signed release.
- Fix broken link to nodejs versions by @crhistianramirez in #679
- Fix readme links. by @veleek in #689
- docs: update address of china mirror by @hyj1991 in #692
- Use Windows defined env vars in all paths in README by @gdziadkiewicz in #699
- @crhistianramirez made their first contribution in #679
- @veleek made their first contribution in #689
- @hyj1991 made their first contribution in #692
- @gdziadkiewicz made their first contribution in #699
- @ajyong sponsored the code signing certificate
Full Changelog: 1.1.8...1.1.9
Added nvm-setup.exe after initial release to support winget efforts.
1.1.8 - Corepack
NVM for Windows v1.1.8 Notes
Truth be told, I did not want to release this version right now. I am working on the successor project rt, which was supposed to be the last version before the rt release. However, notable changes in the Node ecosystem warrant a new version now.
In September 2021, Node.js v16.9.0 introduced corepack. This experimental new feature allows transparent use of npm, pnpm, or yarn. To support this feature, NVM4W must download and process a different distribution file than it has used previously.
As a result, NVM for Windows 1.1.8 is being released to support corepack.
How to Upgrade
All files can be found on the release page.
If you do not have NVM for Windows installed
Use the instructions in the README.
If you already have an older version of NVM for Windows installed
Download nvm-update.zip and extract it. You will find a file called nvm-update.exe. Double click to run it. This will prompt for the version you wish to upgrade to (pre-populated w/ 1.1.8).
nvm-update.exe can also be run from the command line using the
/S flag to suppress the prompt. To do this, run
nvm-update.exe 1.1.8 /S.
Several long-requested features/fixes have been merged since v1.1.7. I did not get to test all of them as extensively as I wanted to, but I believe they are stable. These features include:
- corepack support (see above)
- Support for spaces in filepaths #355 (@s-h-a-d-o-w).
nvm install latest- installs the latest patch version of Node (instead of latest minor).
nvm install lts- installs the latest LTS patch version (new). (@tats-u)
nvm use latest,
nvm use lts(@tats-u), and
nvm use newest(new) (@EEJesse) now supported.
- Elevated permissions applied only when necessary #511 (@rbuckton).
nvm current(new) displays the active version. (@riazXrazor)
Numerous edge case fixes have been applied as well.
- Read environment variables in settings.txt (@mscott3)
- Compilation fixes (@taaem)
- Fix major version check (@rcknight)
- Parameterized settings.txt loader (@himself65)
A number of documentation updates have also been merged.
What didn't make it in?
- Aliases - these were originally scheduled for 1.1.8, but I never got to work on them.
Version 1.1.8 is not code signed. Code-signed applications are trusted by Windows and will install easily. Users are prompted with a screen like this one:
Non-code-signed applications can usually be installed, but they will throw a warning like this:
I paid for the last code signing certificates out of pocket, but they've expired. Sponsorships, to date, haven't even come close to covering the cost of a new code signing certificate (let alone the last one).
Who will this affect?
This won't affect most users, but enterprise users and those distributing NVM4W in corporate environments may run into problems.
If your organization is impacted by this, I will accept sponsorship money to expedite the delivery of a code-signed version. The required EV certificate is about $1000. Please direct message me on Twitter @goldglovecb if you'd like to help cover this cost.
1.1.7 - Maintenance Release
Merged several outstanding PR's:
- Silent Setup (#264)
- Comparison Fix (#269)
- Fix for Manually removing folder on nvm uninstall (#356)
- Wilcard major version to latest (#222)
Several documentation PR's were included in the repo as well.
The build process has been updated to provide:
- Code Signed Executables (courtesy Ecor Ventures/Author.io)
- MD5 Checksums