.NET Core Docker Samples
The samples show various ways to use .NET Core and Docker together. You can use the samples as the basis of your own Docker images or just to play.
The samples exercise various levels of functionality. The .NET Core Docker sample includes the most functionality, including build, unit testing, and pushing images to a container registry. The ASP.NET Core Docker sample includes instructions for testing images with Azure Container Instances. The samples include detailed instructions for use with and without Docker.
Try a pre-built .NET Core Docker Image
Type the following Docker command:
docker run --rm mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/core/samples
Try a pre-built ASP.NET Core Docker Image
Type the following command to run a sample with Docker:
docker run --name aspnetcore_sample --rm -it -p 8000:80 mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/core/samples:aspnetapp
After the application starts, navigate to
http://localhost:8000 in your web browser. On Windows, you may need to navigate to the container via IP address. See ASP.NET Core apps in Windows Containers for instructions on determining the IP address, using the value of
--name that you used in
See Hosting ASP.NET Core Images with Docker over HTTPS to use HTTPS with this image.
Building .NET Core Apps with Docker
- .NET Core Docker Sample - This sample builds, tests, and runs the sample. It includes and builds multiple projects.
- ASP.NET Core Docker Sample - This sample demonstrates using Docker with an ASP.NET Core Web App.
Develop .NET Core Apps in a Container
- Develop .NET Core Applications - This sample shows how to develop, build and test .NET Core applications with Docker without the need to install the .NET Core SDK.
- Develop ASP.NET Core Applications - This sample shows how to develop and test ASP.NET Core applications with Docker without the need to install the .NET Core SDK.
Host ASP.NET Core Apps over HTTPS with Docker
- Hosting ASP.NET Core Images with Docker over HTTPS
- Developing ASP.NET Core Applications with Docker over HTTPS
Push Images to a Container Registry
- Push Docker Images to Azure Container Registry
- Push Docker Images to DockerHub
- Deploy ASP.NET Core Applications to Azure Container Instances
Optimizing Container Size
- .NET Core Alpine Docker Sample - This sample builds, tests, and runs an application using Alpine.
- .NET Core self-contained Sample - This sample builds and runs an application as a self-contained application.
ARM32 / Raspberry Pi
- .NET Core ARM32 Docker Sample - This sample builds and runs an application with Debian on ARM32 (works on Raspberry Pi).
- ASP.NET Core ARM32 Docker Sample - This sample builds and runs an ASP.NET Core application with Debian on ARM32 (works on Raspberry Pi).
.NET Core Resources
Docs and More Information:
- .NET Docs
- ASP.NET Docs
- dotnet/core for starting with .NET Core on GitHub.
- dotnet/announcements for .NET announcements.
Related Docker Hub Repositories
- dotnet/core: .NET Core
- dotnet/core/samples: .NET Core Samples
- dotnet/core-nightly: .NET Core (Preview)