The Pocket Science Lab from FOSSASIA https://pslab.io
This repository hosts the python library for communicating with PSLab. This can be installed on a linux pc/raspberry pi. With this, one can communicate with the hardware using simple python code.
The goal of PSLab is to create an Open Source hardware device (open on all layers) that can be used for experiments by teachers, students and citizen scientists. Our tiny pocket lab provides an array of sensors for doing science and engineering experiments. It provides functions of numerous measurement devices including an oscilloscope, a waveform generator, a frequency counter, a programmable voltage, current source and as a data logger. Our website is at: https://pslab.io
Please join us on the following channels:
To install PSLab on Debian based GNU/Linux system, the following dependencies must be installed.
- Python 3.4 or higher Link to Official download page
- Pip Support package installer
- NumPy For numerical calculations
- PySerial For device connection
- iPython-qtconsole Optional
Note If user is only interested in using PSLab as an acquisition device without a display/GUI, only one repository pslab-python needs to be installed. If you like a GUI, try installing pslab-desktop following the instructions provided in that repository Readme file
To install, cd into the directories
$ cd <SOURCE_DIR>
and run the following
$ sudo make clean $ sudo make $ sudo make install
Now you are ready with the PSLab software on your machine :)
Step 1: Install the latest Python version on your computer and configure
PATH variable to have both Python installation directory and the Scripts directory to access
In windows, Python is installed in
C:drive by default. We can set
$PATHby opening the Environment variables dialog box by following the steps below;
- [Right click on My Computer]
- Select "Properties"
- Open "System Properties"
- Click "Advanced" tab
- Click "Environment Variables" button
- Look for "PATH" in "System Variables" section and click on it and press "Edit" button
- To the end of "Variable value" text box, append "
C:\Python34\;C:\Python34\Scripts\;" (without quotes and
34may differ depending on the python version installed. It could be 35, 37 ...)
- Click "OK" twice to save and move out from path windows
Step 2: Open up command prompt and execute the following commands to install the required dependencies.
$ pip install pyserial $ pip install numpy
- Download the PSLab-Python library from this repository and extract it to a directory.
- Browse in to that directory and create a new file named
- Paste the following code into that file and save it.
from PSL import sciencelab I = sciencelab.connect() capacitance = I.get_capacitance() print(capacitance)
- Plug in the PSLab device and check if both the LEDs are turned on.
- Now run this file by typing
python test-pslab-libs.pyon a command prompt and observe a numerical value printed on the screen along with PSLab device version and the port it is connected to.
To set up the development environment, install the packages mentioned in dependencies. For building GUI's Qt Designer is used.
Steps to build documentation
First install sphinx by running following command
sudo pip install -U Sphinx
Then go to pslab/docs and run the following command
$ sudo make html