Blank WordPress Pot
Author URI: http://fxbenard.com Contributors: Fx Bénard aka FxB Tags: i18n, translation, blank, pot Requires at least: WordPress Tested up to: 4.1 Stable tag: 0.1. License: GNU General Public License v3 or later.
Blank WordPress Pot allows developers to have a great starting point for their translations' pot files and translators an explanation how to use the file.
Developers and translators sometimes get a little confused when they want to start translating their WordPress files. Blank WordPress Pot provides the starting point to create the ready to translate pot file. In a few clicks your WordPress plugin or extension will be ready to incorporate your translated strings. No more default.po or .pot without the right settings.
Features of the files include
- Right properties set (utf-8, plurals).
- Right path set.
- All keywords included.
- A how-to file for translators to explain how to use the pot file.
How does it work?
- Create the "languages" folder right at the base of your root folder.
- Put Blank-WordPress.pot and the how-to file inside.
- Rename Blank-WordPress.pot with the slug of your plugin or extension.
- Open the file with Poedit.
- In Catalog -> Properties -> Translation properties: change the properties to match your WordPress file name -> ok.
- Push the update button in poedit main ui to fetch and update the translated strings.
- Save (if a notice ask you to pick a language just pick "none of this"). Use your textdomain name if it's a plugin or only en_US for the name of your file.
- Exit and that's it.
Now the translators have a pot file ready to be used, and an HowTo to tell them what to do in case of need. No more hassle for you and for them...