GitHub Enterprise Backup Utilities
This repository includes backup and recovery utilities for GitHub Enterprise.
Note: the GitHub Enterprise version requirements have changed starting with Backup Utilities v2.13.0, released on 27 March 2018.
Backup Utilities implement a number of advanced capabilities for backup hosts, built on top of the backup and restore features already included in GitHub Enterprise.
- Complete GitHub Enterprise backup and recovery system via two simple utilities:
- Online backups. The GitHub appliance need not be put in maintenance mode for the duration of the backup run.
- Incremental backup of Git repository data. Only changes since the last snapshot are transferred, leading to faster backup runs and lower network bandwidth and machine utilization.
- Efficient snapshot storage. Only data added since the previous snapshot consumes new space on the backup host.
- Multiple backup snapshots with configurable retention periods.
- Backup commands run under the lowest CPU/IO priority on the GitHub appliance, reducing performance impact while backups are in progress.
- Runs under most Linux/Unix environments.
- MIT licensed, open source software maintained by GitHub, Inc.
- Getting started
- Using the backup and restore commands
- Scheduling backups
- Backup snapshot file structure
- How does Backup Utilities differ from a High Availability replica?
If you find a bug or would like to request a feature in Backup Utilities, please open an issue or pull request on this repository. If you have a question related to your specific GitHub Enterprise setup or would like assistance with backup site setup or recovery, please contact our Enterprise support team instead.