This repository has been archived and is no longer maintained.
Demonstrates using the EventSource / Server-Sent Events feature of the Firebase REST API to implement a simple commandline chat client in Ruby and Python.
Each client has the same architecture:
- A thread listening the Server-Sent Events endpoint from Firebase
- A thread to POST messages to Firebase
- A thread to manage the UI
- Curses UI. Fancy commandline chat
- Basic UI. Prints messages to stdout
Running the Python example
pip install -r requirements.txt
Running the Ruby example
Use With Your Own Firebase
Simply change the URL constants in chat.py / chat.rb to point to a location in your own Firebase.
Suggestions / bugfixes / implementations in other languages welcome!