ThiefMD is a Markdown & Fountain editor that helps with
organization and management. It is heavily inspired by Ulysses. Initial code was based on work from Quilter.
Installation from Flatpak
ThiefMD is now available on Flathub. Make sure you've added flathub to your system.
flatpak install flathub com.github.kmwallio.thiefmd
Arch User Repository
ThiefMD is in the Arch User Repository thanks to Mark Wagie. You can follow these instructions, use yay, or use your favorite AUR helper.
yay -S thiefmd
- Basic library at the moment
- Switch between documents
- Hide Library and Document Switcher
- Live Preview
- Sheet Management
- Shortcut key bindings
- Export (DocX, ePUB, PDF, HTML, Markdown, WriteFreely, Ghost, WordPress, and more...)
- Import (DocX, ePUB, HTML, rst, textile, and more...)
Ctrl+Ffor the current file, and
Ctrl+Shift+Ffor the entire library
- Writing Statistics
- Focus Mode (Word, Sentence, and Paragraph)
- Spell Check, Write-Good Style Suggestions, and Grammar Check
- Basic Bibtex Support
- Open File & Syntax Highlighting
- Right-Click Insert Citation Support in Markdown Documents
- Basic Screenwriting Support
- Open Fountain Files
- Export to HTML & PDF
Poeditor can be used to help translate ThiefMD.
- French Translation by David Bosman
- Slovak Translation by Marek L'ach
- Swedish Translation by Åke Engelbrektson
- Czech Translation by Vojtěch Perník
- Finnish Translation by Jiri Grönroos
- German Translation by Fish and Helix
- Better library organization
- Enhanced Export Tooling
- Project Notes
- Better import support for Screenplays
- https://themes.thiefmd.com - GitHub Source: Themes made for ThiefMD
- Theme-Generator: GUI Application to assist in customizing ThiefMD Themes
- alices-adventures-in-wonderland sample novel: Example project structure for writing a novel
- Pandoc: Universal document converter, used for import and export. Useful documentation on front-matter in manual
- @thiefmd1 on twitter: Release announcements, teasing new features, programming humor, and retweeting writing tips
Download themes from https://themes.thiefmd.com or make your own. Ulysses Themes can also be imported through the preferences
Drag and Drop organizing of the library.
Live Preview & Export Preview
Write-Good recommendations and highlighting.
Fountain syntax highlighting.
libwritegood-vala, writeas-vala, ghost-vala, wordpress-vala, Bibtex-vala and the Ulysses Theme Parser are used as git sub-modules.
meson ninja-build valac cmake libgtkspell3-3-dev libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev libmarkdown2-dev libxml2-dev libarchive-dev libgtk-3-dev libgee-0.8-dev libgtksourceview-4-dev libsecret-1-dev libhandy-1-dev liblink-grammar-dev
vala meson ninja-build cmake libmarkdown-devel webkit2gtk3-devel gtk3-devel gtksourceview4-devel gtkspell3-devel libarchive-devel libxml2-devel libgee-devel libsecret-devel libhandy1-devel link-grammar-devel
$ git clone https://github.com/kmwallio/ThiefMD.git $ cd ThiefMD $ git submodule init $ git submodule update --remote --recursive $ meson build && cd build $ ninja $ sudo ninja install
Prebuilt packages are available.
- Contributors who help make ThiefMD awesome
stolenforked from Quilter
- Fonts are Stolen Victory, Victor Mono, iA Writer Duospace, and Courier Prime
- Inspired by Ulysses
- Preview CSS is Splendor + Modest
- Preview Scroll stolen from this Stackoverflow by Rohan Orton
- Preview Syntax Highlighting by highlight.js
- Math Rendering by Katex
- Fountain Rendering by Fountain.js
- Multi-format Export & Import by Pandoc
- Write-Good based on btford/write-good
- Grammar Checked with Link Grammar Parser