DISKSPD is a storage load generator / performance test tool from the Microsoft Windows, Windows Server and Cloud Server Infrastructure Engineering teams. Please see the included documentation (docx and pdf formats).
In addition DISKSPD itself, this repo hosts measurement frameworks which use DISKSPD. The initial example is the VM Fleet being used for Windows Server 2016 Hyper-Converged Storage Spaces Direct work. Look for these under the Frameworks directory.
DISKSPD 2.0.18a 5/31/2016
- update /? example to use -Sh v. deprecated -h
- fix operation on volumes on GPT partitioned media (:)
- fix IO priority hint to proper stack alignment (if not 8 byte, will fail)
- use iB notation to clarify that text result output is in 2^n units (KiB/MiB/GiB)
DISKSPD 2.0.17 5/01/2016
- -S is expanded to control write-through independent of OS/software cache. Among other things, this allows buffered write-through to be specified (-Sbw).
- XML: adds a new
<WriteThrough>element to specify write-through
<DisableAllCache>is no longer emitted (still parsed, though), in favor or
- Text output: OS/software cache and write-through state are now documented separately (adjacent lines)
- Latency histogram now reports to 9-nines (one part in one billion) in both text and XML output
- Error message added for failure to open write-content source file (
DISKSPD 2.0.16b 2/22/2016
- -ag is now default (round robin group-aware affinity)
- new -ag# for group-aware thread->core affinity assignment
- -Sr : remote cache mode
- -Sh : equivalent to -h, all cache modes collapsed under -S
<System>) element in XML results shows Processor Group topology of the system the test executed on
<System>) element shows run start time in GMT
- -ft : specifies
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY_FILEon open (note: work in progress, effect of this attribute is not fully lit up yet)
VM Fleet 0.6 7/18/2016
- CPU Target Sweep: a sweep script using StorageQoS and a linear CPU/IOPS model to build an empirical sweep of IOPS as a function of CPU, initially for the three classic small IOPS mixes (100r, 90:10 and 70:30 4K). Includes an analysis script which provides the linear model for each off of the results.
- Update sweep mechanics which allow generalized specification of DISKSPD sweep parameters and host performance counter capture.
- install-vmfleet to automate placement after CSV/VD structure is in place (add path, create dirs, copyin, pause)
- add non-linearity detection to analyze-cputarget
- get-linfit is now a utility script (produces objects describing fits)
- all flag files (pause/go/done) pushed down to control\flag directory
- demo scripting works again and autofills vm/node counts
- watch-cluster handles downed/recovered nodes gracefully
- update-csv now handles node names which are logical prefixes of another (node1, node10)
VM Fleet 0.5 6/22/2016
- start-sweep now supports gathering performance counters from the physical nodes (hv root)
- bugfix: clear-pause needs to loop on the pause file in case of competing access
- run.ps1 and run-sweeptemplate.ps1 updated to show use of random seed and write source buffer (best practice), changes to push result file down with noncached copy
- check-pause comments on the number of (un)paused vms
- update documentation to mention change in QoS policy type names
Compiling / Source
Compilation is supported with Visual Studio and Visual Studio Express. Use the Visual Studio solution file inside the diskspd_vs directory.
Source code is hosted at the following repo, if you did not clone it directly:
A binary release is hosted by Microsoft at the following location: