- dotnet/framework/sdk: .NET Framework SDK
- dotnet/framework/aspnet: ASP.NET Web Forms and MVC
- dotnet/framework/runtime: .NET Framework Runtime
- dotnet/framework/wcf: Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- dotnet/framework/samples: .NET Framework, ASP.NET and WCF Samples
The .NET Framework is a general purpose development platform maintained by Microsoft. It is the most popular way to build client and server applications for Windows and Windows Server. It is included with Windows, Windows Server and Windows Server Core. It includes server technologies such as ASP.NET Web Forms, ASP.NET MVC and Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) applications, which you can run in Docker containers.
.NET has several capabilities that make development easier, including automatic memory management, (runtime) generic types, reflection, asynchrony, concurrency, and native interop. Millions of developers take advantage of these capabilities to efficiently build high-quality web and client applications.
You can use C#, F# and VB to write .NET Framework apps. C# is simple, powerful, type-safe, and object-oriented while retaining the expressiveness and elegance of C-style languages. F# is a multi-paradigm programming language, enabling both functional and object-oriented patterns and practices. VB is a rapid development programming language with the deepest integration between the language and Visual Studio, providing the fastest path to a working app.
The .NET Framework was first released by Microsoft in 2001. The latest version is .NET Framework 4.8.
Watch discussions for Docker-related .NET announcements.
The .NET Framework Docker samples show various ways to use .NET Framework and Docker together.
Container sample: Run a simple application
Type the following command to run a sample console application:
docker run --rm mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/framework/samples:dotnetapp
Container sample: Run a web application
Type the following command to run a sample web application:
docker run -it --rm -p 8000:80 --name aspnet_sample mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/framework/samples:aspnetapp
After the application starts, navigate to
http://localhost:8000 in your web browser. You need to navigate to the application via IP address instead of
localhost for earlier Windows versions, which is demonstrated in View the ASP.NET app in a running container on Windows.
- dotnet: .NET
- dotnet-nightly: .NET (Preview)
- dotnet/samples: .NET Samples
Image Update Policy
- We update the supported .NET Framework images within 12 hours of any updates to their base images (e.g. windows/servercore:ltsc2019, windows/servercore:ltsc2022, etc.).
- We publish .NET Framework images as part of releasing new versions of .NET Framework including major/minor and servicing.