Git & GitHub Tutorial eBook
This is a tutorial on Git & GitHub for scientists without formal programming background: https://gitbookdown.dallasdatascience.com
|Git for version control||GitHub for sharing your code|
Why is git important for scientists?
Git facilitates (1) documentation, and (2) sharing/collaborating. Both of these are important in science.
I. Version-control for code = the lab notebook of experiments. We need documentation for all our processes:
- Scenario A: Things were working, now they are not!
- Scenario B: Why were changes made?
- Scenario C: We made changes a long time ago…
II. Git and Remote Hosts (e.g., GitHub) makes sharing/collaborating easier
- Sharing code made easy
- Facilitates new collaboration
- Encourages open source and open science