Well, we tried...
It took a few years of kick-starting the Search Everything Plus project and it being subverted by new full-time projects at Sprout Venture before realizing it had to stop. Our goal of fixing WordPress search with SE+ needed too much focus, something we couldn't sacrifice because of growing client projects. After a year of trying and nothing awesome to show we decided to cease all planning and development on the Search Everything Plus plugin/service.
But our goal of fixing WordPress search isn't lost and we have two recomendations for you:
SearchWP They claim it's the best search plugin around and we can't agree more. It's seriously close to what we had planned for SE+, in many ways it's much better than what we counted on accomplishing.
Swiftype Search plugin It replaces the standard WordPress search with a better, more relevant search engine, and in doing so offloads the performance burden of search queries from your database to theirs.
The advantages of both should be clear but if you're undecided we recomend SearchWP becuase of how it doesn't require a subscription.
Sincerely, Dan Cameron Principal and Janitor, Sprout Venture Inc.
Better WordPress search in three steps
- Configure options
- Search ( maybe that's only two steps )
Options include search highlight, searching pages, excerpts, attachments, drafts, comments and custom fields (metadata).
What it does:
Search Everything increases the ability of the default Wordpress Search, options included:
- Search Highlighting
- Search By Author
- Search Every Page
- Search Every Tag
- Search Custom Taxonomies ( new )
- Search Every Category
- Search non-password protected pages only
- Search Every Comment
- Search only approved comments
- Search Every Draft
- Search Every Excerpt
- Search Every Attachment (post type)
- Search Every Custom Field (metadata)
- Exclude Posts from search
- Exclude Categories from search
Search Everything Plus
Premium version coming soon, get notified on updates here.
- Download the plugin and unzip it (didn't you already do this?).
- Put the 'search-everything' directory into your wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Go to the Plugins page in your WordPress Administration area and click 'Activate' next to Search Everything.
- Go to the Options > Search Everything and configure your settings.
- That's it. Have fun and if you can contribute (see notes).
Frequently Asked Questions
It doesn't work
Read the installation guide.
It still doesn't work
Create an issue here on github.
What Translations are included?
- China / Chinese
- Norwegian (Bokmål)
- Norwegian (Nynorsk)
- Taiwan / Chinese